Denied bypoll ticket, Jharkhand Congress leader joins BJPJune 6th, 2012 - 8:16 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, June 6 (IANS) Jharkhand Mahila Congress former president Pratibha Pandey Wednesday joined the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), expressing anger at the Congress fielding Union Tourism Minister Subodh Kant Sahay’s younger brother for Hatia assembly by-poll scheduled for June 12.
“I had to quit the Congress as Subodh Kanat Sahay has hijacked the party. He unilaterally decided one year ago about the party candidate for the Hatia by-poll,” Pandey told reporters here after meeting Chief Minister Arjun Munda.
Pandey, who is the chairperson of the Jharkhand State Social Welfare Board, alleged that the union minister ensured party ticket to his younger brother Sunil Sahay for the by-poll and treated his colleagues in the Congress as “small-level leaders”.
“We have spent 32 years in the party and it is very sad to hear such comments from him,” she said.
Earlier in 2009 assembly elections, the Congress denied Pandey a party ticket from Hatia and instead repeated its sitting legislator Gopal Nath Sahdeo.
Sahdeo died in 2010, necessitating a by-poll. The selection of Sunil Sahay as the Congress candidate for the by-election has dealt a final blow to her hopes, Pandey said, forcing her to quit the Congress.
Subodh Kant Sahay is the Congress MP from the Ranchi Lok Sabha constituency.
–Indo-Asian news Service
- Denied bypoll ticket, Jharkhand Congress leader joins BJP (Lead) - Jun 06, 2012
- Whom to support for Hatia by-poll? JMM to decide May 28 - May 26, 2012
- Jharkhand's ruling alliance to face each other in Hatia by-poll - May 23, 2012
- Petrol hike hits Congress in Hatia - May 24, 2012
- Jharkhand by-poll Tuesday amid tight security - Jun 11, 2012
- AJSU wins Jharkhand by-poll (Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Jharkhand by-poll: AJSU leads; BJP, Congress trail - Jun 15, 2012
- 42 percent polling in Jharkhand by-poll (Lead) - Jun 12, 2012
- Dhoni casts vote in Jharkhand by-poll - Jun 12, 2012
- FIR against Jharkhand speaker for poll violations - May 25, 2012
- Jharkhand Congress legislator dies - Jun 29, 2010
- Assembly recount after two years! - Dec 18, 2011
- Voting under way in Hatia bypoll in Jharkhand - Jun 12, 2012
- Munda faces tough by-poll as campaigning ends - Feb 08, 2011
- JMM, Congress face dissention over by-poll - Jun 14, 2011
Tags: asian news, assembly elections, bharatiya janata party, congress candidate, congress leader, expressing anger, final blow, jharkhand state, kanat, level leaders, Lok Sabha, mahila, party ticket, sabha constituency, sahay, social welfare, subodh, tourism minister, union minister, welfare board