Denied bank loan, Kerala nursing student ends lifeApril 30th, 2012 - 6:37 pm ICT by IANS
Kottayam, April 30 (IANS) A Kerala nursing student, who poisoned herself after failing to secure an education loan, died at a medical college here Monday.
Shruthi Srikanth was a bright student, doing her B.Sc. Nursing course at a college in Andhra Pradesh and had completed her first year with 80 percent marks. Since last December,however, she was unable to resume her studies following the denial of an education loan by a leading private sector bank near here.
An endless wait for a bank loan for pursuing her dream profession proved a nightmare for Shruthi.
Unable to continue her studies without a loan, Shruthi on April 17 drank a poisonous pesticide and was under treatment at the medical college hospital here.
“I approached Chief Minister Oommen Chandy on three occasions and also Home Minister T. Radhakarishnan, informing them about the delay in sanctioning a bank loan for my daughter. Nothing happened and now, my daughter has also left us. My only plea now is nobody else should suffer such a fate,” said her grieving father, Srikanth.
Following Shruthi’s death, locals vented their ire on the private sector bank that had refused her the loan, forcing the deployment of policemen at the bank.
A shutdown in protest against the bank has been called in the vicinity of the area where Shruthi resided and various youth organisations attached to political parties also took out angry marches.
- Kerala assembly censures banks for denying education loans - Jun 22, 2012
- Far from home, Kerala nurses a lifeline for families (March 8 is International Women's Day) - Mar 05, 2011
- Parents seek better deal for Kerala nurses (Lead) - Jan 04, 2012
- Parents of Kerala nurses seek better wages for children - Jan 04, 2012
- 40 students fall ill in Pakistan - Mar 03, 2012
- Chandy seeks PM's help for educational loans - Jul 20, 2012
- 'Namitha I Love You' leaves you with a headache (Kannada Movie Review) - Jun 11, 2011
- Education loan is a right of every student: Chidambaram - Aug 18, 2012
- Unable to study engineering, woman kills self - Aug 03, 2012
- Lucknow's ten-year-old girl gets admission in college in science stream - Dec 30, 2010
- 'India faces 50 percent nursing shortage' - Mar 29, 2012
- 'Romeo' - stylish entertainer on true love (Kannada Movie Review) - Jul 07, 2012
- World Bank to lend $400 mn for Pakistan's education - Mar 26, 2011
- Five Rajasthan doctors booked for corruption - May 30, 2012
- Life in Tripura crippled as Left, Congress call shut-down - Jul 13, 2011
Tags: bank loan, chandy, chief minister, denial, deployment, education loan, home minister, locals, marches, medical college hospital, nightmare, nursing course, pesticide, plea, policemen, political parties, private sector bank, shruthi, srikanth, vicinity