Dengue forces Twenty20 tournament out of Lahore to KarachiSeptember 21st, 2011 - 10:00 pm ICT by IANS
Karachi, Sep 21 (IANS) The Pakistan Cricket Board Wednesday shifted the Faysal Bank Cup Twnety20 tournament from Lahore to Karachi on the advice of President Asif Zardari following a virulent outbreak of dengue in the Punjab capital.
The PCB decided to move the tournament after Zardari, who is also the board’s chief patron, advised it to shift the tournament at a meeting held to discuss ways to raise funds for the flood victims in the Sindh province by organising matches.
“Everyone was in favour of shifting the tournament in view of the prevailing dengue epidemic in Lahore and the president agreed,” said Javed Miandad, the PCB director general.
“The president also felt by holding the tournament in Karachi an awareness could be created for assistance to the flood victims,” Miandad told reporters.
Miandad, who has serious differences with PCB chief Ijaz Butt, made a representation to the country’s president for shifting the tournament.
Over 30 people died in Lahore since the outbreak of the disease in August.
Fourteen teams will take part in the tournament, which will now be played at the National Stadium in Karachi from Sep 25-Oct 2.
- Miandad blasts PCB for shabby treatment of former cricketers - Sep 26, 2011
- Dengue epidemic affects sports activities in Pakistan - Sep 20, 2011
- Zardari appoints close friend as PCB chief,Butt shown the door - Oct 12, 2011
- 'Shape up or ship out' ultimatum issued to beleaguered PCB boss Butt - Oct 04, 2010
- Gilani to press for PCB chief Ijaz Butt's dismissal with Zardari - Nov 03, 2010
- Miandad claims PCB sidelining him despite Zardari giving him more authority - Oct 14, 2010
- Miandad hits back at PCB, says it is his duty to put Pak cricket on right track - Jul 10, 2010
- PCB chief Butt to seek Zardari's guidance on management crisis - Oct 15, 2010
- Miandad suggests way to reform trouble-stricken PCB to Zardari - Sep 16, 2010
- PCB chief Butt to seek extension for another term - Oct 16, 2010
- Now Karachi frets over dengue outbreak - Aug 22, 2011
- "Priceless" Miandad denies being paid one million salary by PCB - Jan 24, 2010
- Miandad threatens to quit PCB - Feb 02, 2010
- PCB rejects cricket veterans' request for India tour - Nov 11, 2010
- PCB paid Miandad 8.4 million rupees for seven days of work: Butt - Feb 07, 2010