Demolition of building off Gurgaon Delhi Expressway haltedMay 21st, 2008 - 9:28 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, May 21 (IANS) The Supreme Court Wednesday temporarily suspended the demolition of a private building the authorities say is hindering the construction of a 22-lane toll collection plaza on the Gurgaon-Delhi Expressway. A vacation bench of judges C.K. Thakkar and L.S. Panta stopped the central government from demolishing the building on a lawsuit by its owner contending that the toll plaza could be built without acquiring the land on which the building stands.
The bench also issued notice to the National Highway Authority of India, Gurgaon’s sub-divisional magistrate and contractor Jaypee DSC Ventures that is building the plaza and the road leading to it. The expressway links the national capital to the Golden Quadrilateral highway complex.
Building owner Brig (retd) S.S. Yadav contended in his petition that the government did not need to acquire his land and building to construct what was originally intended to be an 18-lane toll plaza - nine lanes on each side of the central verge - but was later expanded to a 22-lane plaza.
Quoting from letters written to him by the NHAI chairman, Yadav, who owns a garment manufacturing plant in the building, said that the NHAI needed a maximum of 50.5 metres of land on either side of the central verge to build the originally planned 18-lane toll plaza.
However, the NHAI and the contractor, just to acquire his land, shifted the central verge by six metres towards his side and changed the original plan of the toll plaza by including the construction of their own office at the spot, Yadav contended in his petition.
The apex court will hear the lawsuit after its vacation ends in July.
- Operator charges toll at two Gurgoan plazas - Sep 05, 2012
- SC declines to interfere with expressway's toll order - Sep 12, 2012
- No toll on Delhi-Gurgaon expressway for 15 days: Court - Sep 04, 2012
- Considering out-of-court solution on expressway: NHAI - Aug 06, 2012
- NHAI, Gurgaon expressway operator settle dispute (Lead) - Sep 18, 2012
- DGSCL files contempt petition against NHAI - Mar 27, 2012
- Free ride on Gurgaon expressway till Sep 25 - Sep 20, 2012
- NHAI, Gurgaon expressway operator get time for talks - Aug 30, 2012
- NHAI, private firm settle Gurgaon toll plaza issue - Jul 05, 2012
- Court restrains NHAI on contract termination - Mar 02, 2012
- Delhi-Agra run cut by half as Yamuna Expressway opens (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Jam free traffic promised on Delhi-Gurgaon Expressway - Sep 19, 2012
- Jaypee's expressway to Taj cuts run from Delhi to 150 minutes (Roundup) - Aug 09, 2012
- 'Accidents rise on Delhi-Gurgaon expressway' - Apr 13, 2012
- Yamuna Expressway awaits Akhilesh nod (With Image) - Mar 21, 2012