Democratic protests against Kudankulam stifled: Prashant BhushanMarch 31st, 2012 - 11:21 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, March 31 (IANS) Advocate and Anna Hazare’s anti-corruption movement member Prashant Bhushan Saturday charged the central government of stifling democratic protests by filing cases against protestors against the Kudankulam Nuclear Power Plant (KNPP).
Addressing the villagers of Idinthakarai in Tamil Nadu’s Tirunelveli district, around 650 km from here, Bhushan said the government is stifling democracy and people’s voice by filing cases against the anti-KNPP movement leaders.
He said Japan is closing down its nuclear power plants though 34 percent of its power needs are met from this source.
Bhushan’s speech in English was translated in Tamil by S.P.Udayakumar, co-ordinator of People’s Movement Against Nuclear Energy (PMANE) that is spearheading the anti-KNPP protest since last year.
Bhushan termed PMANE’s struggle as heroic and historic.
- It's David vs Goliath at Kudankulam: Anti-nuke activist - Feb 28, 2012
- Situation calm in Kudankulam, protest leaders abducted by fishermen (Second Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- Situation calm in Kudankulam, more protestors arrested (Lead) - Sep 11, 2012
- Anti-Kudankulam activists willing to withdraw protest - May 07, 2012
- PMANE leaders 'abducted' by fishermen - Sep 12, 2012
- Kudankulam agitators release statement of accounts - Mar 02, 2012
- Situation under control in Kundankulam - Sep 12, 2012
- Thousands of villagers protest against Kudankulam plant - Sep 09, 2012
- Police crack down on protestors at Kudankulam - Sep 10, 2012
- Police crack down on Kudankulam protest, enter Idinthakarai village (Lead) - Sep 10, 2012
- Kudankulam protesters assaulted, talks cancelled (Second Lead) - Jan 31, 2012
- Kudankulam, villages tense after violent protest (Second Lead) - Sep 10, 2012
- Green signal for Kudankulam, Rs.500 crore for region (Lead) - Mar 19, 2012
- Anti-Kudankulam struggle to enter 100th day Thursday - Nov 23, 2011
- Anti-Kudankulam relay fast continues for 50th day - Dec 06, 2011
Tags: advocate, anna hazare, bhushan, central government, co ordinator, corruption, democracy, japan, movement leaders, nuclear energy, nuclear power plant, nuclear power plants, protest, protestors, protests, struggle, tamil nadu, tirunelveli district