Democrat wins key US senate race in AlaskaNovember 19th, 2008 - 1:42 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Nov 19 (DPA) Veteran Alaskan Republican Senator Ted Stevens narrowly lost his bid for re-election, increasing the Democrats’ majority in the US upper house, US media has reported.Stevens, 85, the longest-serving Republican in the senate, will be replaced by the mayor of Anchorage, Democrat Mark Begich, 46.
As Alaska’s division of elections counted the last absentee ballots from the Nov 4 election, Begich was ahead by 3,724 votes, an insurmountable lead with only a few thousand absentee ballots left to be counted, reported Alaska’s Kimo TV news.
During his 40-year congressional career, Stevens had been known for steering billions of dollars in federal funds to his state. But he faced an uphill re-election bid after his conviction last month on charges of hiding $250,000 in gifts from an Alaska company.
Begich’s victory brings the Democrats to two seats short of a 60-seat majority in the 100-member senate, which would be enough to prevent the Republicans from holding a filibuster, a parliamentary tactic to delay legislation through endless debate.
Two razor-close senate races remain to be decided.
- Alaska Senator Lisa Murkowski Concedes Defeat To Joe Miller - Sep 01, 2010
- Republican Senator Lisa Murkowski defends running as an independent in the re-elections - Sep 23, 2010
- Media Announces Lisa Murkowski As The Winner - Nov 18, 2010
- McCain wins final undecided state - Nov 20, 2008
- Former U.S. Senator Ted Stevens killed in Alaska plane crash, fate of ex-NASA head unknown - Aug 11, 2010
- Former NASA head in crashed plane; five killed - Aug 10, 2010
- Former U.S. Senator Ted Stevens, former NASA head O'Keefe aboard crashed plane in Alaska - Aug 11, 2010
- Democratic Party likely to retain control of US Senate - Nov 03, 2010
- Washington State Election Results Show A Tight Race Between Patty Murray And Dino Rossi - Nov 04, 2010
- Lisa Murkowski wants to caucus with the Republicans after her reelection - Nov 01, 2010
- Lisa Murkowski wins over Joe Miller - Nov 18, 2010
- Ex-Senator Ted Stevens confirmed dead in Alaska plane crash - Aug 11, 2010
- Military plane crash at Elmendorf Air Force Base in Alaska kills 4 - Jul 29, 2010
- Republicans capture control of House of Representatives, but not the Senate - Nov 03, 2010
- Lisa Murkowski Leads Polling Survey As Alaska Supreme Court Limited Distribution Of Write-In Candidates List - Oct 31, 2010