Delhi’s Tibetans pray for quake victimsSeptember 21st, 2011 - 11:07 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 21 (IANS) Around 100 Tibetans, including monks, Wednesday conducted “aspiration” prayers here for the victims of the Sikkim earthquake.
The group was led by His Holiness the 17th Gyalwa Karmapa, Trinley Thaye Dorje, at the Karmapa International Buddhist Institute.
“Aspiration prayers are the power of our consciousness and it is the combination of our thoughts and wishes. They support us both in life and for our rebirth,” Dorje told IANS.
“Aspirations also help those who have passed away to have a peaceful and smooth transition into the next life,” he added.
The devotees chanted mantras in the sanctum sanctorum for the departed and the survivors, which was followed by lighting of lamps and candles and offering of flowers.
“Lighting a lamp symbolises end of darkness and moving towards of positivity, much like the survivors who have got a new lease of life,” said Dorje.
Nigel Thrupten, 32, said that even though people like him are hundreds of kilometres away from the affected areas, their prayers have the power to soothe the victims.
“We can’t do anything from here but at least we can pray for them… It will definitely comfort the affected,” Thrupten told IANS.
Sunday’s 6.8 magnitude temblor, which hit large parts of eastern and northern India, Nepal and Tibet, killed over 60 people in Sikkim alone.
- Karmapa prays for quake affected people - Sep 20, 2011
- Cash row renews clash of rival Karmapas - Feb 04, 2011
- Buddhists to throng Bodh Gaya Thursday for special rites - Dec 27, 2010
- After cash, Karmapa faces new controversy in contender - Apr 25, 2011
- Tibetan Buddhism can solve global conflicts: Karmapa - Jan 03, 2011
- Karmapa visits Leh, consoles cloudburst victims - Apr 28, 2011
- 11 years after his escape, Karmapa remains as controversial - Jan 29, 2011
- Karmapa Lama calls for peace in wake of Mumbai attacks - Dec 02, 2008
- Buddha Purnima celebrated with great fervour in Delhi - May 27, 2010
- Dalai Lama offers prayers for tsunami victims - Mar 12, 2011
- Karmapa prays for happiness, peace - Jan 01, 2012
- Art, drama and poetry meet on Karmapa's creative canvas (With Image) - Dec 28, 2011
- Buddhist monks in India pray for quake victims - Mar 13, 2011
- Karmapa concerned over self-immolation by monks - Nov 09, 2011
- Karmapa participates in Buddha Purnima celebrations in Delhi (Lead) - May 27, 2010
Tags: aspiration, aspirations, buddhist institute, devotees, gyalwa karmapa, holiness, kilometres, monks, New Delhi, new lease, northern india, prayers, quake victims, rebirth, sanctum sanctorum, sikkim earthquake, smooth transition, temblor, thaye dorje, tibet