Delhi’s ‘killer’ Blueline buses to be phased out (Lead)

December 26th, 2008 - 11:19 pm ICT by IANS  

New Delhi, Dec 26 (IANS) As the Delhi government announced it would phase out 100 Blueline buses every month starting from March next year, the authorities Friday impounded over 150 of these privately-owned buses and cancelled their licences.The Delhi Police spokesperson said permits of 158 Blueline buses were cancelled for flouting norms. “Their permits have been cancelled and due action is being taken against them,” the official said. He said some of the impounded buses were plying illegally though their permits were being cancelled.

Of the 158 buses, 79 were from south, southwest and west Delhi, while 45 were from central, north and northwest Delhi. The remaining were from New Delhi district.

Earlier, the state government announced that 100 Blueline buses, termed as ‘killer’ buses for causing a large number of deaths on the city’s roads, would be phased out every month from March.

The government will eventually phase out all Blueline buses from the city roads, said Delhi Transport Minister Arvinder Singh Lovely.

“More DTC (Delhi Transport Corporation) buses will be pressed into service to meet the demand of commuters,” Lovely told reporters here.

Over 4,000 Blueline buses run on Delhi roads at present.

At least 115 people have lost their lives in road accidents involving Blueline buses this year.

On Wednesday, two people riding two-wheelers lost their lives in separate accidents after their vehicles were hit by Blueline buses.

Last year, the ‘killer’ buses claimed 163 lives.

Related Stories

    Posted in Uncategorized |

    Subscribe