Delhi’s colonial Town Hall to become a museumJanuary 27th, 2009 - 9:04 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 27 (IANS) Tourists will soon be able to savour the old world charm when the 142-year-old Victorian style Town Hall that at present houses the municipal corporation’s head office is vacated and converted into a heritage museum, officials said.According to the Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD), the Town Hall in Chandni Chowk will be converted into a museum, library cum convention centre “in a way that the old cultural heritage of historical Shahjahanabad would be kept intact”.
“We have decided that a high-quality consultant should be appointed to ensure maximum utilisation of space in the existing building of Town Hall,” said MCD standing committee chairman Vijender Gupta.
The official said all offices of the MCD at Town Hall and in its neighbourhood will be shifted to newly constructed civic centre at the Jawaharlal Nehru Marg.
“There has been speculation on this for long, but now finally the chairman has decided that the offices will shift by May this year,” a senior MCD official said.
After MCD shifts its head office, renovation work and assessment will start soon at the Town Hall, the official added.
The Town Hall, a yellow-painted brick and stone Victorian style building was conceived by the British immediately after the 1857 rebellion and was completed by 1866. It is said to be one of the most posh properties in Old Delhi.
- MCD to relocate offices by April end - Apr 05, 2010
- Delhi corporation yet to shift to new block - Nov 12, 2010
- Delhi's new civic centre has poor connectivity - Dec 30, 2010
- New civic centre lacks fire department clearance - Apr 22, 2010
- All set for working of trifurcated MCD: Government - Apr 21, 2012
- MCD shifting to new centre without full fire safety clearance? - Nov 30, 2010
- Delhi government will release Rs.1,831 crore for MCD - Apr 21, 2012
- MCD gets swanky, hi-tech meeting hall - Oct 18, 2011
- Heritage sites in 'Queen of Hills' set for facelift (Letter from Shimla) - Jun 19, 2012
- Shimla's historic Ridge again caves in - Sep 05, 2010
- New civic centre should make Delhi world class city: Chidambaram - Apr 22, 2010
- Restore walled city heritage, get incentives - Sep 30, 2009
- It's homely to be in Shimla, says Shiranthi Rajapaksa (With Images) - Jun 10, 2010
- After talks, Rajapaksa relax in Shimla (Lead) (With Images) - Jun 10, 2010
- Bansal doesn't favour shifting parliament to new building - Aug 03, 2012