Delhiites all set for dedicated CWG lanesSeptember 24th, 2010 - 12:12 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 24 (IANS) Commuters in Delhi prepared themselves for traffic problems Friday with lanes for the Commonwealth Games being closed for a few hours to facilitate athletes and their trainers who arrive in the city, police said.
“The Games lanes will be closed between 11 a.m. and 12 noon and again between 10 p.m. to 11 p.m. There will be partial restriction on the Games lane between Indira Gandhi International Airport and the Games Village,” said Joint Commissioner of Traffic Satyendra Garg.
Garg said there would be no exclusive Games Lane restriction on various stretches in the city except from the airport to Games Village.
“People are expected to give way to Games-related traffic on hearing the hooter/siren from the traffic pilot motorcycle and on directions of traffic police officials posted at intersections,” he said.
Traffic Police had earlier decided to enforce restrictions on the lanes from Monday but later postponed it as organisers said the first batch of Commonwealth Games athletes would not reach the city before Thursday.
Though the route from the Games Village to competition venues and the airport has a dedicated lane, there will be no such facility for practice venues.
The official said there would be no special lanes for roads leading to practice venues but motorcycle patrols would lead the convoys of athletes.
These restrictions are not applicable to the motor vehicles of Delhi Police, ambulances, fire brigades and other emergency service vehicles.
Some 7,000 participants and officials from 71 teams are expected to attend the Oct 3-14 Commonwealth Games, India’s biggest sporting event after the 1982 Asian Games.
- Games lane to be operational Friday - Sep 23, 2010
- Delhi braces for dedicated Games lanes - Sep 26, 2010
- Security net thrown around Games venues - Sep 26, 2010
- Dedicated lanes for Games to be used only when needed - Sep 23, 2010
- Games lane to be operational from Thursday - Sep 22, 2010
- CWG venues' lockdown delayed, two Australian athletes back out (Afternoon Lead) - Sep 26, 2010
- Games traffic curbs to be enforced Sunday - Sep 25, 2010
- Games lane restrictions on Saturday - Sep 24, 2010
- Games road lane trial planned during rush hour - Sep 12, 2010
- Trial on Games lane cancelled due to heavy rains (Lead) - Sep 13, 2010
- Trial run held of Games traffic plan - Aug 22, 2010
- Commonwealth Games lanes restrictions from today - Sep 24, 2010
- PM opens CWG sports injuries centre; stadia lockdown delayed (Evening Lead) - Sep 26, 2010
- 'Thank you, Delhiites, for following Games lanes' - Sep 28, 2010
- 100 motorists face action for entering Games lanes - Sep 27, 2010
Tags: ambulances, asian games, city police, commonwealth games, commuters, competition venues, convoys, delhi police, emergency service vehicles, fire brigades, indira gandhi, indira gandhi international airport, intersections, motor vehicles, police officials, siren, stretches, traffic police, traffic problems, village people