Delhi witnesses four percent surge in crimeJanuary 6th, 2012 - 9:42 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 6 (IANS) The capital witnessed a four percent increase in crime in 2011 against 2010, Delhi Police said Friday.
Annual statistics released by the Delhi Police revealed that vehicle thefts and heinous crimes were on the rise in the capital in 2011 compared to 2010.
The number of cases of molestation, attempt to murder and kidnapping reported in the capital rose to 53,353 from 51,292 in 2010.
The number of murder cases though were down by four percent with the Delhi Police registering 543 murder cases in 2011 as against 565 in 2010.
The incidents of robbery had no major changes as in 2010 they were recorded at 3.66 percent and dropped to a meagre 3.35 percent in 2011.
“One cannot really go by the numbers. The amount of work and effort put up by the police force matters. Crime per lakh calculation gives the correct assessment of crime rate in a city,” said Delhi Police Commissioner, B K Gupta.
Gupta further added that the crime per lakh population is normal. While 313.06 per lakh was the crime rate in 2010, it rose to 318.47 per lakh in 2011.
There was a dip in the street crime like the snatching cases came down from 1671 to 1476, rape by strangers fell from 3.94 percent to 2.46 percent.
–Indo-Asia News Service
- Crime up slightly, women's safety, terror top agenda: Delhi Police (Roundup) - Jan 06, 2012
- Crime rate in Delhi down, says police chief - Jan 06, 2011
- Crime cases increased in 2010: Delhi Police (Roundup) - Jan 06, 2011
- Every fifth murder in Delhi sexually motivated: Police - Jan 06, 2012
- Crime, road accident rate down in Delhi: Police chief (Roundup) - Jul 02, 2011
- Crime against children rising in the country - Aug 08, 2012
- 504 fined for drunken driving - Jan 01, 2012
- Fatal accidents have come down: Delhi Police - Jan 06, 2012
- Drug peddling cases on rise in Delhi - Jan 06, 2012
- Bihar registers highest growth rate of 16.71 percent - Jul 17, 2012
- Mumbai Police claim to have 'broken' underworld's back-bone - Jan 11, 2012
- In delhi, nearly all rapes are by relatives, neighbours - Jan 06, 2012
- 'Government banks lending to key sectors up 19 percent' - Mar 15, 2012
- Foreign exchange earnings from tourism surge 50 percent - Feb 06, 2012
- Terrorism biggest challenge for Delhi Police: New chief (Lead) - Jun 30, 2012
Tags: asia news, correct assessment, crime rate, delhi police, heinous crimes, indo asia, k gupta, murder cases, New Delhi, news service, police commissioner, police force, population, pra, rape, rg, robbery, street crime, vehicle thefts, vm