Delhi welcomes all, says Shivraj PatilFebruary 16th, 2008 - 8:47 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, Feb 16 (IANS) Delhi, which imbibes all that is good in various cultures, welcomes people from all states, Home Minister Shivraj Patil said here Saturday. “Right now, Delhi’s population is 14 million and it would only increase in future. People are attracted to the city and it is in Delhi where politics of the country shapes up and new ideas take shape. The government wants people to come here and we welcome them all,” Patil said at the 61st Raising Day function of Delhi Police.
Patil’s statement assumes significance in the backdrop of Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) chief Raj Thackeray’s adverse comments on migrants from north India settling in Mumbai and elsewhere in Maharashtra that led to clashes in the state this month.
The home minister said that as the population was growing, Delhi Police have to be more modernized and equipped to fight new threats and crimes. These are expected to go up, he added.
Pstil said the number of women in Delhi Police would be raised to 10 percent in next 10 years. At present the number is sufficient, but not enough as required.
“Delhi Police should also secure the air, as it is providing security presently on ground. In this regard if they forward any proposal to us, it would be considered promptly,” he said, adding that other proposals for modernising the force would also be welcome.
Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit and the top brass of Delhi Police, including commissioner Y.S. Dadwal, attended the function.
“We have designed several policies for future by keeping in mind the upcoming Commonwealth Games scheduled in Delhi in 2010. Traffic management and cyber security are among our top priorities,” Dadwal said.
- Raj Thackeray to take out march even if refused permission - Aug 20, 2012
- Raj Thackeray drops protest against Bihar Day event - Apr 13, 2012
- Thousands march in Mumbai to protest violence (Lead) - Aug 21, 2012
- Raj Thackeray publicity-hungry: Nitish Kumar - Sep 02, 2012
- Mumbai cop offers rose to Raj Thackeray, attacks police chief - Aug 21, 2012
- Police allow Raj Thackeray to hold rally (Lead) - Aug 20, 2012
- Mumbai violence: Raj Thackeray demands Patil's resignation - Aug 17, 2012
- Mumbai Police gear up for MNS march - Aug 21, 2012
- Raj Thackeray attacks NCP leaders at rally - Jan 13, 2011
- Bangladeshi infiltrators behind Mumbai violence, says Raj Thackeray (Lead) - Aug 21, 2012
- Delhi court issues summons against Raj Thackeray - Aug 30, 2012
- Lalu slams Nitish for 'bowing' before Raj Thackeray - Apr 16, 2012
- Uddhav again demands permit system for Bihari migrants - Sep 04, 2012
- 13/7, scribe's murder set to rock Maharashtra assembly - Jul 24, 2011
- BJP keen on MNS as part of alliance in Maharashtra - Mar 01, 2011