Delhi varsity security up ahead of HoliMarch 1st, 2012 - 11:58 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 1 (IANS) Ahead of Holi, the festival of colours to be celebrated March 8, the Delhi University (DU) has beefed up security in colleges in order to avoid incidents of harassment, particularly those involving women students. Playing with Holi colours during working hours has been banned.
The university has also asked the police to maintain a constant vigil in the run-up to the festival against harassment to women students and staff.
“A control room jointly manned by Delhi Police, DTC (Delhi Transport Corporation) and university officials has been set up. It can be reached on 27667291. Similarly, office of deputy dean, students’ welfare, will function as the joint control room in the South Campus on Holi to deal with any untoward incident and can be reached on 24119832,” said a university press statement.
Any misdemeanour during the period may invite punitive action like expulsion, cancellation of examination and monetary fine, it said.
To keep a check on outsiders entering college premises, students would be allowed to enter only after showing identity cards.
Playing Holi during working hours has also been banned. Principals, heads of departments and hostel heads have been asked to form committees to prevent the entry of outsiders.
- Smooth ride for freshers at DU - Jul 21, 2011
- Anti-ragging vigil as Delhi University opens Wednesday - Jul 20, 2010
- Delhi University gets ready to curb ragging - Jul 20, 2012
- Students indiscipline hits Cambridge University - Nov 10, 2010
- Student indiscipline rampant in Cambridge (Lead) - Nov 10, 2010
- Delhi University goes to poll Friday amidst tight security - Sep 02, 2010
- West Bengal celebrates Dol, Holi - Mar 08, 2012
- Delhi University students stage protest over lack of security - Mar 09, 2011
- Demand for natural colours escalates this Holi - Mar 07, 2012
- Anti-ragging campaign on bus in Delhi University - Aug 10, 2010
- Student unions march against fee hikes, fake admissions - Mar 21, 2012
- No CWG tourists so far in renovated DU hostels - Sep 25, 2010
- Students protest Delhi college's high cut-off - Jun 18, 2011
- Violence rocks Osmania University, students begin fast (Lead) - Jul 11, 2011
- President greets nation on Holi - Mar 07, 2012
Tags: delhi police, delhi university, delhi varsity, deputy dean, dtc, expulsion, festival of colours, harassment, holi, march 1, misdemeanour, New Delhi, outsiders, principals, punitive action, transport corporation, university officials, untoward incident, vigil, women students