Delhi University students protest Mangalore pub attackJanuary 30th, 2009 - 9:31 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 30 (IANS) A group of Delhi University students Friday protested against the attack on women in a Mangalore pub and burnt the effigies of Sri Ram Sene, which is said to be behind the attack.Students under the banner of All India Students’ Association (AISA) held a protest march across the university campus and addressed students at canteens and other public places.
They carried placards and raised slogans like “Ban the Bajrang Dal and Sri Ram Sene that have attacked the freedom of women”, “Down with saffron terrorism”, “Resist patriarchy and fascism, defend women’s rights.”
“Be it Taliban or Sangh Parivar - both are terrorists”, “Shame on attacks on freedom of expression - be it in DU or in Mangalore”, “Yeddyurappa must resign” were some of the other slogans raised.
“Today they say women cannot go to a pub. Tomorrow, they may say that women wearing certain clothes or even going to school or college is against Indian culture because in olden days, women were denied such freedom,” said Neethu Samuel, a student of MA history.
“Women cannot surrender this hard-won freedom by allowing these saffron brigades to decide what is moral and what is not,” Samuel added.
Ashish, another student, said students would never accept such fascist diktats.
Kavita Krishnan, a student, said: “The debate over pub culture is a false debate. The fact is that Bajrang Dal, Sri Ram Sene and other Sangh outfits have been conducting a series of assaults on women for the past several months.”
- Protests mark Valentine's Day in Andhra Pradesh - Feb 14, 2012
- Girls thrashed at Karnataka's Mangalore for partying - Jul 28, 2012
- Action against those inviting Muthalik to Goa: CM - Jul 18, 2012
- 'Rent-a-riot' Muthalik pays for his fanaticism (Letter from Bangalore) - May 21, 2010
- Bangalore Christians staged rally against probe reports on church attacks - Feb 22, 2011
- Sri Ram Sene not to support BJP in general elections - Apr 04, 2009
- No religion for purpose of statecraft: Parrikar - Jun 13, 2012
- Muthalik will be arrested if he enters Goa: Parrikar (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Five arrested for attack on Kerala legislator's daughter (Roundup) - Feb 08, 2009
- Goa CM dismisses Sri Ram Sene chief as inconsequential - Jun 27, 2012
- Ensure safety of women in Karnataka: CPI-M to centre - Feb 08, 2009
- Valentine's Day was non-event in Bangalore, but not any more! - Feb 11, 2009
- Sri Ram Sene activists storm gathering of Indo-Pak journalists in New Delhi - Apr 15, 2009
- Black-faced Muthalik demands justice - Feb 12, 2010
- Women's rights activists condemn assault on Mangalore girls - Jan 25, 2009
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,