Delhi university gets a president from ABVP for a changeSeptember 6th, 2008 - 5:44 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 6 (IANS) Nupur Sharma of the Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP) - the student wing of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) - was elected the president of the Delhi University Students Union (DUSU) for 2008-09 here Saturday.Sharma, who is a student of law, got a total of 10,345 votes to defeat Sonia Sapra of the National Students Union of India (NSUI) by a margin of 1,639 votes.
“Besides my own work agenda, I will work on the issues which have been taken up by my predecessor,” said Sharma, a member of ABVP, said.
It’s after eight years that ABVP has won the post of the president in DUSU polls. The rest of the posts - that of the vice president, the secretary and the general secretary - have been won by NSUI, the students’ wing of the Congress.
“Since the last eight years, DU has always had a president from NSUI while the other posts were mostly taken by ABVP. This time it’s the other way around,” Vinod Budhiraj of the NSUI told IANS.
Manohar Nagar was elected the vice president after he defeated Vasu Rukhar of ABVP by a margin of 600 votes, Amit Chaudhary became the secretary after he beat Anupriya Yadav by 300 votes and Ashish Gehlot was elected the joint secretary after defeating Mukesh Shukla by a margin of 1,200 votes.
The polls, which were held Friday, saw a low voter turnout of just about 35 percent. That however didn’t deter the political parties and the cub politicians of the varsity in going all out and campaigning till the last moment to woo voters or of taking out noisy victory processions Saturday.
- Anna helps ABVP defeat NSUI in Delhi varsity polls - Sep 10, 2011
- Nupur Sharma of ABVP is new DUSU president (Lead) - Sep 06, 2008
- ABVP sweeps DUSU elections - Sep 04, 2010
- ABVP repeats 2002 performance, tops Delhi University polls (Lead) - Sep 04, 2010
- SFI wins Himachal university polls - Aug 23, 2012
- Delhi University polls: ABVP wins one, NSUI bags other three - Sep 06, 2008
- Delhi University election results announced - Sep 10, 2011
- Polling begins in Delhi University and JNU - Sep 14, 2012
- Delhi University all set for polls Friday - Sep 13, 2012
- ABVP tops in Delhi University polls - Sep 04, 2010
- DUSU polls end, results on Saturday (Lead) - Sep 14, 2012
- Independent candidate elected DUSU president - Sep 05, 2009
- After 18 years, an independent is DUSU chief (Night Lead) - Sep 05, 2009
- Independent is DUSU chief; ABVP, NSUI bag one seat each - Sep 05, 2009
- Tighten security for DU polls, says Delhi BJP - Sep 12, 2012