Delhi to have smart card based driving licenceJuly 23rd, 2008 - 9:47 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 23 (IANS) The Delhi government Wednesday granted approval for smart card based driving licences that will “eliminate malpractices”. “In Delhi, approximately 500,000 licences are issued every year. Therefore it is imperative to have a robust, efficient and reliable system,” Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit told reporters after a cabinet meeting.
“To ensure transparency and eliminate malpractices and middlemen, touts, agents, brokers, it has been decided to deliver licences and other documents by courier at the address of the applicant,” she added.
The government would enter into a contract for a period of 10 years with Delhi Multi-Modal Transit System (DIMTS) for the smart card based driving licence.
The smart card based driving licence will have computerized photograph, fingerprint impression, signature of applicant and other data so that it would be impossible to issue driving licence to a person without being present.
“The system will be designed in such a manner that the fingerprint for one-to-one matching and other details of the license holder will be used as key fields for verifying the particulars of licence holder. This will prevent issue of duplicate and fraudulent licences,” an official said.
- Delhi CM opens new traffic Operations Control Center (OCC) - Feb 04, 2011
- Green signal for high-security number plates in Delhi - Aug 26, 2011
- Delhi transit system comes under RTI Act: High court - Jul 08, 2012
- Uttar Pradesh to give foodgrain via biometric cards - Jul 05, 2012
- FAQ on 'Aadhaar' (To go with 'How to get your own unique identity') - May 08, 2011
- Unique ID numbers to half the population by 2014: Nilekani - Mar 27, 2011
- Delhi Metro awarded for clean system - Dec 06, 2011
- Haryana to replace ration cards with smart cards - May 16, 2011
- Two arrested for duping showroom owners - May 27, 2010
- Public distribution system to be computerised - Aug 16, 2011
- Click to keep tabs on fair price shops - Jul 19, 2011
- Officials responsible for rotting of food grains to be punished: Pawar - Jul 13, 2010
- Indian company behind Africa's citizen ID project - Apr 11, 2011
- Tamil Nadu to expand biometric smart card-based pension scheme - Jan 21, 2012
- Unique Identification to make public distribution easier: Nilekani - Jul 13, 2010