Delhi to have country’s first varsity for social sciencesApril 15th, 2009 - 6:10 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 15 (IANS) The country’s first university exclusively for students of social sciences and humanities, the Ambedkar University, Delhi (AUD) will start enrolling students from this academic year for its post graduate course.
“The university will function through its various schools and centres spread across the capital. The motive behind launching a specialised varsity for social sciences and humanities is to prepare development professionals for NGOs, developmental agencies, corporate and social sector,” AUD vice-chancellor Shyam Menon told IANS.
The university, established through an act of the Delhi assembly, will launch its first course - Masters in Development Studies - from this academic year. Nearly 30 students will be selected after an entrance test, he added.
The other courses being offered are in public health, urban development, management of public systems, human ecology, human studies, culture and creative expressions, public policy, social entrepreneurship and law, governance and citizenship.
“The course material has been prepared by eminent professors from the JNU (Jawaharlal Nehru University), former diplomats and educationists,” said Menon.
The university has a differential fee structure based on social and economic background of the students.
“There is a facility of full and partial fee waiver based on the student’s economic background. We wish that no eligible student is left out because of paucity of money,” he said.
- Shakuntala Misra University to start more departments - Jun 18, 2011
- India undertapped as US student destination: Study - Nov 04, 2011
- Delhi University dons a disabled-friendly avatar - Jul 10, 2011
- India will get more prominence at Harvard - Aug 07, 2011
- IGNOU starts online training programme for teachers - Dec 26, 2010
- IGNOU opens admissions to courses on Gandhi - Jun 25, 2012
- IGNOU to empower the less privileged - Aug 05, 2011
- Africa studies a hot new subject for Indian students - Sep 26, 2011
- 'IGNOU at par with international institutions' - Jan 01, 2011
- Supreme Court clears way for JNU students' union polls - Dec 08, 2011
- IGNOU opens admissions for biodiversity programme - Sep 02, 2012
- Gopinath Pradhan is new IGNOU vice-chancellor - Aug 01, 2012
- IGNOU signs pact with Chinese varsity - Oct 05, 2011
- IGNOU's preparatory course for students desiring higher education - Jun 14, 2012
- Connecting global youth to support change - Apr 02, 2012