Delhi teacher canes two studentsFebruary 22nd, 2008 - 12:44 am ICT by admin
New Delhi, Feb 21 (IANS) In yet another case of corporal punishment in Delhi, a teacher of a state-run school Thursday beat up two class 5 students over a petty issue. The incident comes days after a 15-year-old girl slipped into coma after being mercilessly thrashed by her teacher. The latest incident occurred in a Municipal Corporation of Delhi school in Metro Vihar of Narela when teacher Pradeep Kumar first stopped two students, Anil and Narendra, from fighting with each other and then allegedly beat them up with a stick.
Anil sustained minor injuries on back and head, while Narendra was hit on face. The duo was taken to a nearby hospital, where they were discharged after the treatment.
“He (Pradeep) pulled my hair and hit me mercilessly with a stick,” Anil said.
Anil’s father blamed school administration for not taking any action against the accused teacher.
“The teacher beat him with a stick and he had injuries on back and head. The teachers are not ready to talk to us,” said Gurcharan, father of Anil.
The police have registered a case after the victims’ parents went to the police station. “The teacher is absconding and we will register a case after investigations,” said a police official.
On Wednesday, Delhi’s education minister ordered an inquiry in the case of 15-year-old Rinky Kaushik, who slipped into coma after her teacher in a private school beat her in east Delhi.
“There is no place of corporal punishment in education and such types of incidents will not be tolerated by the government. We have issued a show-cause notice to the school and have asked why it should not be de-recognised,” minister Arvinder Singh Lovely said.
He said such incidents “cast a question mark on the noble profession” of teaching. He added that it is the duty of all citizens of Delhi, including teachers, parents and general public, to oppose corporal punishment.
- Corporal punishment: the victims before Shano Khan - Apr 17, 2009
- Teacher shot dead in capital - Apr 18, 2012
- Tortured schoolgirl's body handed over to parents; no arrest yet (Second Lead) - Apr 18, 2009
- Tortured schoolgirl's body handed over to parents; no arrest yet (Lead) - Apr 18, 2009
- Teacher thrashes boy for leaving classroom - Aug 26, 2011
- Punished girl in coma, no charges against teacher - Apr 17, 2009
- Probe on, will take action against Shano Khan's teacher: Police - Apr 18, 2009
- Girl dies after punishment in school (Lead) - Apr 17, 2009
- Teacher charged with culpable homicide for schoolgirl's death - Apr 17, 2009
- Youth beaten to death in road rage incident - Dec 23, 2011
- Girl dies after punishment in school (Second Lead) - Apr 17, 2009
- Strict action needed to curb corporal punishment, say citizens - Apr 17, 2009
- Child rights commission to take up case of dead schoolgirl - Apr 17, 2009
- Two minors raped in Delhi - Jul 10, 2012
- Lucknow teacher booked for assaulting student - Oct 30, 2010