Delhi swelters at 43 degrees Celsius, breaks five-year record (Lead)May 12th, 2011 - 8:59 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 12 (IANS) It was a sizzling day in the capital Thursday as the maximum temperature touched 43.1 degrees Celsius, four notches above the average for this time of the year. It was the hottest May 12 in the last five years, a met department official told IANS.
It was also the hottest day of the season, the official said.
“The maximum temperature today, at 43.1 degrees Celsius, was four degrees above normal (average) and made Thursday the hottest day of the season. It also broke the five-year record by being the hottest May 12 since 2006,” an official of the India Meteorological Department (IMD) told IANS.
In 2010, the maximum temperature May 12 was 41 degrees Celsius. In 2009 it was 37 degrees, in 2008 it was 38 degrees, in 2007 it was 40 degrees and in 2006 it was 40 degrees Celsius.
While the morning forecast Thursday predicted showers, the official said that there is no likelihood of any rain as of now. If it’s of any respite, there is a likelihood of a duststorm over the next 24 hours till Friday evening.
“Over the next 24 hours, there is a likelihood of a duststorm or a thunderstorm, but no rains. The skies will be partly cloudy,” the official said.
The minimum temperature recorded early Thursday was five degrees above the average, at 29.6 degrees Celsius.
Trying to shield themselves from the heat, Delhiites were seen walking with umbrellas and and assorted headgear and drinking water and summer coolers like lemonade and buttermilk. Women covered their faces with dupattas and stoles.
On Friday the minimum and maximum temperature are expected to touch 29 and 42 degrees Celsius respectively.
- Another blazing day in Delhi (Lead) - Jun 01, 2012
- Hot morning in Delhi, rains expected - Jun 01, 2012
- Hot day in Delhi, rain expected - May 19, 2011
- Season's hottest day scorches Delhi, no relief in sight (Lead) - May 25, 2012
- Shimla's temperature 6 degrees above average - May 29, 2012
- Rains expected in Delhi Saturday (Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- Hot morning in Delhi, rain likely - Jun 22, 2012
- Hot day in Delhi, no relief in store (Lead) - May 04, 2011
- Muggy Wednesday, no rain likely till Friday (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Delhi reels under searing heat, monsoon a week away (Second lead) - Jun 29, 2012
- Another hot day in Delhi, mercury may dip Friday (Lead) - Feb 22, 2012
- Hot Sunday morning, mercury set to rise - May 15, 2011
- After a five-year high, mercury dips in Delhi - May 13, 2011
- Hot day for Delhi, light rains expected - Jul 02, 2012
- Delhi sees season's hottest day, heat to rise (Lead) - May 24, 2012
Tags: buttermilk, coolers, degrees celsius, drinking water, duststorm, five degrees, four degrees, friday evening, headgear, hottest day, india meteorological department, india meteorological department imd, lemonade, likelihood, maximum temperature, minimum temperature, notches, respite, stoles, thunderstorm