Delhi staged shootout: Rs.15 lakh for victims’ familiesJuly 4th, 2011 - 1:32 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 4 (IANS) The Delhi government was Monday directed to pay compensation of Rs.15 lakh each to the families of two businessmen 14 years after they were shot dead by a police team that mistook them for mobsters.
Justice S. Muralidhar of the Delhi High Court said: “Compensation of Rs.15 lakh will be awarded to each of the families. However, the amount shall be distributed equally among the widow and the children.”
Businessmen Pradeep Goel and Jagjit Singh were gunned down March 31, 1997 by the now-suspended Assistant Commissioner of Police S.S. Rathi and nine other policemen in central Delhi’s business and shopping hub Connaught Place.
The case was transferred to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI), which indicted the entire 10-member police team and prosecuted it for the killings.
The “callous” action of the police was aimed at getting accelerated promotions by claiming to have killed two gangsters, the CBI alleged. Rathi was, at that time, considered an “encounter specialist” of Delhi Police - a term used for those frequently engaged in shootouts with criminals.
The CBI also accused Rathi of feeding false information to senior police officers to claim innocence.
- Court notice for more relief for shootout victim's kin (Lead) - Dec 07, 2011
- CP shootout case: apex court confirms cop's life sentence - May 02, 2011
- Delhi staged shootout: Rs.15 lakh each for two victims' kin - Jul 04, 2011
- 15-day parole to police official in 1997 Connaught Place killing - Jun 15, 2011
- CP shootout case: Supreme Court confirms cops' life sentences (Lead) - May 02, 2011
- Home ministry to answer in CP shootout: Court - Jan 13, 2011
- Widow of 1997 Delhi shootout victim seeks Rs.2 crore damages - Jul 30, 2010
- Convicted Delhi policeman gets parole to study law - Mar 15, 2010
- Connaught Place shootout: life term for 10 cops upheld - Sep 18, 2009
- Corruption case against Delhi Police officer - Feb 24, 2012
- Delhi court lets off three on probation - Feb 20, 2012
- Badminton, chats with new friends: Raja at home in jail - May 29, 2011
- CBI arrests four for kidnapping two businessmen - Nov 28, 2011
- Four held by CBI for medical admission fraud - Jul 20, 2012
- Court awards Rs.10 lakh compensation to tycoon's widow - May 13, 2011