Delhi set for queer pride parade SundayNovember 25th, 2011 - 8:09 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 25 (IANS) A colourful pride parade and a live rock concert will ensure that it would be a rollicking Sunday for the capital’s Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) community.
The fourth edition of the Delhi Queer Pride Parade will commence from Barakambha Road near central Delhi’s business and shopping hub Connaught place and will move towards Jantar Mantar. It is expected to be joined by hundreds.
“We don’t take any sponsorships and like every year, money has been raised through a fundraising party that was held earlier this month,” Mohnish Malhotra of ‘Queer Delhi’, one of the organisers, told IANS.
“We will distribute masks, rainbow coloured scarves, whistles, candies, amongst other things,” he added.
According to Malhotra, the masks are particularly for closet gays — those who have not disclosed their sexual orientation or gender.
The participants will have more reason to celebrate as a rock concert will be held in the evening at the newly-opened Leela Hotel. It will be organised by Engendered — a New York based NGO working on gender and sexuality issues.
“The concert celebrates human rights and queer solidarity among other issues. Artists and bands like Rekha Bhardwaj and the East india Company will be performing,” Engendered director Myna Mukherjee told IANS.
On July 2 2009, the Delhi High Court struck down provisions of Section 377 of Indian Penal Code which criminalised gay sex, saying that it violated the fundamental right of life and liberty and the right to equality as guaranteed in the constitution.
- A queer carnival in Delhi - Nov 27, 2011
- Delhi draped in rainbow colours as gay walk for pride - Nov 28, 2010
- Delhi gay parade to be about celebration, awareness - Nov 22, 2010
- A long way to go, cheer Delhi's gays - Jul 02, 2011
- Delhi's gay community set to celebrate July 2 ruling - Jul 01, 2011
- Gay community supports Australian swimmer - Oct 07, 2010
- Transgenders hold pride march in New Delhi - Nov 28, 2010
- Public display of affection at Berlin gay parade - Jun 25, 2011
- Gay pride parade taken out along Marina Beach in Chennai - Jun 28, 2010
- Government's flip-flop on gay sex ban (Roundup) - Feb 23, 2012
- Activists slam government's stand on gay sex - Feb 23, 2012
- Rainbow hues in Berlin ahead of gay parade - Jun 24, 2011
- Gay community asserts identity with pink products - Nov 29, 2010
- Azad's comments on MSM shocking: Gay community - Jul 05, 2011
- Gay community, celebs, UNAIDS slam Azad's MSM remark (Lead) - Jul 05, 2011
Tags: bhardwaj, candies, central delhi, connaught place, delhi high court, east india company, fundamental right, fundraising party, gender and sexuality, indian penal code, lgbt community, malhotra, mantar, pride parade, queer pride, scarves, section 377, sexual orientation, sexuality issues, whistles