Delhi school faces closure over beating of girl studentFebruary 20th, 2008 - 10:17 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, Feb 20 (IANS) A private school in Delhi faces closure as a Class 10 student has remained in coma for over a month after being beaten by a teacher. “There is no place of corporal punishment in education and such types of incidents will not be tolerated by the government. We have issued a show-cause notice to the school and have asked why it should not be de-recognised,” Delhi Education Minister Arvinder Singh Lovely said Wednesday.
Rinky Kaushik, a 15-year-old student of the Dinkar National Model School in east Delhi, slipped into coma after her schoolteacher beat her.
Her parents have complained the teacher, Dhirendra Kumar Dinkar, beat her with a stick when she refused to attend his tuition classes.
A resident of Mayur Vihar, Kaushik has been lying in the intensive care unit (ICU) of the Maharaja Agrasen Hospital since Jan 7. Doctors performed surgery to remove a blood clotting from her head.
“The girl is out of danger,” the minister told reporters after visiting the hospital Wednesday.
Lovely also directed the education department to conduct an inquiry through a committee headed by a deputy director.
The minister said such incidents “cast a question mark on the noble profession” of teaching. He said it is the duty of all citizens of Delhi, including teachers, parents and general public, to oppose corporal punishment.
“I urge the parents to come forward to report such incidents to the education department so that action can be taken against them,” he added.
- Delhi school de-recognised after teacher beats student - Mar 05, 2008
- Private tuitions by government teachers an offence: Tripura government - Jan 03, 2012
- A key Bihar lesson - don't forget the private tuition! - Jan 22, 2012
- Tripura bars government teachers from taking tuitions - Apr 16, 2011
- Delhi schoolgirl in coma dies, family blames teacher - Mar 27, 2008
- Three Tamil Nadu teachers held for beating student (Lead) - Jul 21, 2012
- Delhi schoolgirl dies, family blames teacher - Mar 27, 2008
- More from Bengal schools: Two girls asked to disrobe - Jul 14, 2012
- Vishva-Bharati row: Court issues contempt notice against PM, others - Jul 13, 2012
- We will investigate schoolgirl's death: Sheila Dikshit - Mar 27, 2008
- Assam student critical after assault by teacher - Aug 11, 2010
- Chennai student kills teacher for complaining to parents (Lead) - Feb 09, 2012
- Nearly 12,000 Right to Education violations in Delhi - Mar 27, 2011
- 12 Andhra students hospitalized after corporal punishment - Apr 03, 2012
- Lucknow teacher booked for assaulting student - Oct 30, 2010