Delhi roads prone to water-logging to be cementedDecember 29th, 2008 - 9:04 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 29 (IANS) Roads in the capital prone to water-logging that causes pot-holes will be cemented, the Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) said Monday.”The MCD will improve and strengthen 68 roads which are prone to water-logging by providing ready mixed concrete surface,” said Vijender Gupta, chairman of the civic authority’s standing committee.
The pathetic condition of the roads in the capital becomes evident soon after the first bout of monsoon rains every year. Massive potholes and waterlogged roads played havoc with the traffic condition this year as well.
“The MCD has decided that it will do away with bituminous (tarred) surface on the roads which are prone to water-logging. The use of ready mixed concrete will not only provide longer life to road surface but also ensure that the road construction improvement and strengthening is much more economical in the long run than the conventional roads,” Gupta said.
Road research has established that cemented roads are much stronger and have longer life when subjected to water-logging.
According to the civic body, special emphasis has been laid on improving roads in rural areas. Twenty roads will be improved in Narela Zone and 11 in Najafgarh Zone.
The MCD will also overhaul five roads in South Zone, three in Central Zone, nine in Shahdara North Zone, two in Shahdara South Zone, eight in Sadar Pahar Ganj Zone, six in West Zone, two in Karol Bagh Zone and one in Civil Lines Zone.
- Court seeks report from civic agencies on water-logging - Jul 11, 2012
- Rains, Games blamed for collapse of Delhi's roads - Aug 29, 2010
- Rains lash Delhi Tuesday, more expected Wednesday (Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- Rain brings waterlogging to Delhi - Jul 05, 2010
- Dikshit alerts civic agencies before monsoon - Jun 14, 2012
- Dikshit tells civic agencies to gear up for monsoon - Jun 13, 2011
- Will Delhi weather the storm this monsoon? - Jul 01, 2010
- Torrential rains cripple Delhi -- for hours - Sep 09, 2011
- When an inundated Delhi reminded one of Venice! - Sep 09, 2011
- Learnt lessons, prepared for monsoon: MCD - Jul 05, 2010
- MCD gears up water-logging control rooms - Jun 28, 2010
- MCD gears up for monsoon with new pothole repair machine - Jun 29, 2010
- Heavy rains disrupt rail, road traffic in Mumbai - Aug 27, 2012
- MCD seals commercial space at Metro station - Jun 09, 2010
- Taj sparkles in rain, Agra totters (Letter from Agra) - Aug 29, 2012