Delhi revenue courts’ ‘improper functioning’ slammedFebruary 18th, 2012 - 12:05 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 17 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Friday slammed the city’s revenue courts for their improper functioning and for not complying with its directions to decide cases within a particular time frame.
Justice Sunil Gaur said: “A disturbing trend is being noticed that a number of petitioners are coming before this court only for seeking a direction that their revenue cases be decided within a resonable time frame.”
The court also observed that this trend puts the unnecessary burden upon the poor litigants to approach the high court for such a relief which in fact adversely reflects upon the functioning of the revenue courts under the financial commissioner of Delhi.
The court’s direction came on a plea filed by Ramesh Vashisht against a revenue assistant, seeking early hearing of his property-related case which has been pending for the last 12 years.
Justice Gaur noted that despite the high court’s directions to the revenue assistant in 2004 that had granted six months time to decide the matter, nothing has been done so far.
Seeking an explanation for delay from the concerned revenue assistant, deputy commissioner and the finance commissioner, the court asked them to ensure that the revenue cases are taken up with expedition, more particularly when directions are issued by this court to decide them within a particular time frame.
The court directed personal appearance of the deputy commissioner concerned and the financial commissioner to look into the matter and “to apprise the high court as to how this malady can be addressed”.
- 'Apex court can't regulate reporting of cases' (Lead) - Apr 03, 2012
- Don't drag Chidambaram into 2G case, CBI tells apex court - Sep 20, 2011
- Court pulls up Himachal government in graft case - Jul 29, 2011
- Court orders police action on lawyer's assault (Lead) - Feb 16, 2012
- Apex court appoints probe team on money laundering (Second Lead) - Jul 04, 2011
- Government gets Delhi High Court contempt notice - May 09, 2012
- Court orders police action on lawyer's assault - Feb 16, 2012
- CBI to submit 2G probe reports to CVC: Supreme Court (Second Lead) - Feb 02, 2012
- Court comes down hard on Himachal government - Aug 15, 2011
- Apex court restores powers of transparency panel chief - Oct 18, 2010
- Guidelines being framed on health food in schools, court told - Aug 30, 2012
- Apex court suggests changes in corruption law - Jan 31, 2012
- High court rejects case against Hazare trusts - Jan 06, 2012
- Delhi High Court stays court fee hike - Aug 09, 2012
- SC cautions high courts against curbs on trial - Feb 18, 2012