Delhi radiation case: Court grants bail to fiveJune 2nd, 2012 - 11:30 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 2 (IANS) A Delhi court Saturday granted bail to five accused in the 2010 radiation case here in which one person died and eight others were affected.
Metropolitan Magistrate Lovleen granted bail to Delhi University’s then dean of sciences Roop Lal and four other teachers of the chemistry department Rita Kakkar, Ramesh Chandra Rastogi, Ashok Prasad and Rakesh Kumar.
The court also granted exemption from personal appearance to then head of chemistry department V.S. Parmar.
The police have charged the six people with causing death by rash and negligent acts and causing grievous hurt to others.
In April 2010 a metal pipe discarded from the university’s chemistry laboratory, containing the radioactive Cobalt 60, was found in the Mayapuri scrap market in west Delhi. One person died and eight were affected due to the subsequent radiation leak.
- Court summons six Delhi varsity dons in radiation case - Feb 27, 2012
- Six professors charged in Mayapuri radiation case - Sep 02, 2011
- Delhi University under scanner for radiation leak - Apr 29, 2010
- Greenpeace probe reveals radiation risk in Mayapuri - May 14, 2010
- Mayapuri residents at high radiation risk: Greenpeace (Lead) - May 14, 2010
- Experts decontaminate Delhi's radiation hotspots (Lead) - May 16, 2010
- DUTA demands probe into radioactive element misplaced from Chemistry Department - Apr 29, 2010
- Delhi University auctioned radio-active material - Apr 28, 2010
- Delhi University staff to be questioned in radiation case - Apr 29, 2010
- Experts visit radiation hotspots in Delhi's Mayapuri - May 16, 2010
- How was radioactive material auctioned, police asks university - Apr 29, 2010
- Greenpeace again to survey Mayapuri scrap market - May 18, 2010
- Army Hospital provides proper treatment to Cobalt-60 exposed patients - May 14, 2010
- Decontamination of New Delhi's radioactive hotspots underway - May 17, 2010
- Delhi University takes 'moral responsibility' for radiation leak (Lead) - Apr 29, 2010
Tags: ashok, chemistry department, chemistry laboratory, cobalt 60, court grants, delhi court, delhi university, kakkar, lal, magistrate, metal pipe, negligent acts, personal appearance, prasad, radiation leak, rakesh kumar, ramesh chandra, rastogi, scrap market, west delhi