Delhi power demand soars with rising mercuryMay 12th, 2011 - 10:03 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 12 (IANS) The power demand zoomed up in several areas of Delhi Thursday as the capital recorded the hottest day of the season so far.
“Due to the unprecedented hear, the power demand in the national capital witnessed new highs. The peak power demand touched 4,568 MW at 3.06 p.m. The demand was 4,509 MW Wednesday,” an official of the Delhi power department told IANS.
With the increasing demand, power cuts ranged from half an hour to two hours in several areas in West, East and North Delhi.
“West Delhi was the worst affected as some areas faced power cuts for up to two hours,” the official said.
The mercury touched 43.1 degrees Celsius, four notches above the average for this time of the year. It was the hottest May 12 in the last five years, a met department official said.
Expecting a further increase in temperature, the power department said the demand is expected to cross 5,100 MW in June and July.
- Delhi's power demand scores to record 5,178 MW - Jun 01, 2012
- Power demand breaks record in Delhi - May 25, 2012
- Delhi records hottest day of the season, power demand jumps (Second Lead) - Apr 15, 2010
- Delhi swelters at 43 degrees Celsius, breaks five-year record (Lead) - May 12, 2011
- Delhi power demand reaches new high - Jun 26, 2012
- Delhi's hottest April 16 in five years (Lead) - Apr 16, 2010
- Searing heat pushes power demand in Delhi to new high - Jun 21, 2012
- Delhi power demand reaches new high at 5,642 MW - Jul 05, 2012
- Delhi sizzles, power demand highest ever (Lead) - Aug 02, 2011
- Sweltering Delhi to get monsoon rains this week (Second Lead) - Jul 02, 2012
- Summer multiplies woes of power-starved Bihar - May 11, 2012
- Assam power crisis to continue - May 08, 2012
- Delhi records hottest April day in 52 years (Lead) - Apr 17, 2010
- Summer break extended in Delhi schools (Lead) - Jul 01, 2012
- Dust storm lashes Delhi on season's hottest day (Second Lead) - May 10, 2012