Delhi Police’s Special Cell takes over Jama Masjid firing case

September 20th, 2010 - 11:54 pm ICT by IANS  

New Delhi, Sep 20 (IANS) Delhi Police Monday transferred the case related firing near Jama Masjid in old Delhi which left two foreigners injured to its specialized anti-terror unit Special Cell.
Two Taiwanese nationals were Sunday injured at Gate Number 3 of the historic mosque when they were shot by two unidentified men on a motorcycle.

“The case has been transferred to the Special Cell to probe the terror angle,” said a senior police official.

Police are yet to interrogate Mohamed Salim, a rickshawpuller, who chased the attackers.

“We have interrogated only those who are important for us in the case,” said Deputy Commissioner of Police (Central) Jaspal Singh.

He said the prime witness in the case was the manager of the travel agency which arranged the tour for the Taiwanese nationals.

The first information report (FIR) (65/2010) registered on the basis of the statement of Jitender Singh Jaiswal, an employee of the agency and a resident of Faridabad, revealed that they were attacked when they were getting down from the bus to enter the mosque.

In his statement, he said that at around 10.40 a.m. when the bus reached the spot, two of the them from the six member team, Ko Chang, 38 and Ku Ze Wei, 40, got down from the vehicle.

“When other members were in the process of getting down they heard gun shots. When I went down, I saw Ko Chang and Ku Ze Wei hit by bullets. I saw two people wearing helmets on a black coloured bike,” said Jaiswal in his statement. The FIR has been registered under the Arms Act.

A second FIR (66/2010) registered under the Explosives act mentions the use of improvised explosive devices for a blast inside a Maruti 800 car three hours later near the shooting spot at 2 p.m.

It also said that the bomb placed inside a pressure cooker in the car had two circuits and it was placed for the purpose of carrying out a blast in the area.

It said that no evidence could be collected from the spot as to what chemicals were used for the bomb as everything was burnt in the fire. “Neither any detonator nor a watch was found inside the car,” said the FIR.

The owner of the car, Bobby, and the motorcycle used by the attackers, Yatinder, have been interrogated. The gunmen are yet to be apprehended. More than 30 people were detained for interrogation immediately after the blasts.

Related Stories

    Posted in Uncategorized |