Delhi Police rule out foul play in auto-rickshaw fireMay 15th, 2009 - 9:57 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 15 (IANS) A day after two women were mysteriously burnt to death in an auto-rickshaw in the capital, Delhi Police Friday ruled out any foul play and said it was just an accident.
“There is no foul play whatsoever in the incident. It was an accident where two women were charred to death,” Deputy Commissioner of Police (New Delhi) Shankar Das told IANS.
Nisha, a 32-year-old resident of Pratap Vihar in Ghaziabad, and 33-year-old Khairunisa of Sonia Vihar area were burnt to death when the auto-rickshaw they were travelling in caught fire in Connaught Place area early Thursday.
Another woman identified as Kamla, her eight-year-old son and the auto-rickshaw driver survived the fire. Kamla, however, suffered burn injuries.
Asked why the victims could not get out of the vehicle, Das said: “It was a sudden fire and the CNG leakage fuelled it. It became a fire ball and the deceased got engulfed in it. Kamla and her son were on the right side of the auto so they were fortunate to get out.”
“Harish was outside, so he too survived,” Das added.
Asked why Kamla and Harish ran away from the spot after the incident, Das said: “Kamla went to a hospital for treatment. Harish had a criminal record so he chose to flee the spot fearing arrest.”
The police officer said no case has been registered in the incident.
- Two women burn to death in auto-rickshaw (Lead) - May 14, 2009
- Six killed as train hits auto-rickshaw - Aug 24, 2012
- Auto-rickshaws older than 10 years banned in Ranchi - May 15, 2012
- Driver rams bus into park to avoid collision - Mar 07, 2012
- Overspeeding truck kills one, injures two in Delhi - Mar 11, 2012
- 30-year-old auto rickshaws banned in Pakistani city - Jul 22, 2012
- 12 killed as train hits auto-rickshaw (Lead) - Aug 24, 2012
- Four dead in freak multi-vehicle accident (Lead) - Aug 06, 2011
- Two die in Kashmir Valley road accidents - Jun 14, 2011
- Two killed in separate accidents - May 13, 2011
- Two women burn to death in autorickshaw - May 14, 2009
- Road rage: Man burnt alive in Rajasthan - Jul 03, 2012
- 14 killed in Pakistan accident - Nov 29, 2011
- Two men killed in freak Delhi accident (Second Lead) - Dec 23, 2011
- Truck rams 10 vehicles, eight people killed - Jan 29, 2011