Delhi Police register case accusing its men of gangrapeJune 24th, 2009 - 5:51 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 24 (IANS) Following the allegation that five of its men committed gangrape inside a police station two days ago, Delhi Police registered a case of rape a little past midnight Wednesday and launched investigation into the woman’s complaint.
The woman has alleged that Station House Officer Pradeep Kumar of the Inderpuri police station and four constables raped her in a lock-up on the second floor of the police building Monday.
The allegation sparked off a riotous situation in the Inderpuri area, and several vehicles, including those of the media and TV channels, were damaged in severe stone throwing by mobs.
The case was registered just past midnight Wednesday when the woman appeared before sleuths of the Crime Branch and recorded her statement before them, a police official said.
According to Supreme Court directions, police have to register a case immediately after a woman approaches them with a complaint of rape. Investigations follow subsequently.
“After doing rounds at media news channels, she came to us around midnight. We recorded her statement and registered a rape case accordingly,” said an official investigating the case.
“We have launched an investigation into the case. We are checking the close circuit television camera (CCTV) footage installed at both the entrances of the police station to verify whether the woman was brought to the police station,” the officer added.
“If needed, we will parade the police station staff before the woman.”
Cell phone details of Pradeep Kumar would also be scrutinised to ascertain his location on Monday afternoon.
Besides, Crime Branch sleuths have collected the police station’s roster for Monday and were questioning the duty officers.
According to the woman, a police team came to her house Monday morning looking for her husband, against whom three cases of bootlegging and betting were registered at the police station.
“Since my husband was not at home, they took me to the police station in the afternoon. I was taken into the lock-up on the second floor where one of the policemen raped me. Later, four other policemen came from nowhere and took turns to rape me,” she told reporters.
“They threatened me with dire consequences if I revealed the incident to anyone. I called up my husband who asked me to come to the Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital (RML),” she said.
As the news of the alleged rape spread, around 200 people, mainly young men and boys, gathered outside the Inderpuri police station late Monday and raised slogans against the policemen. When police dithered over registering the case, the mob got angry and started throwing stones and bricks at the police station Tuesday.
Two people were arrested Wednesday for pelting stones at the police station.
The initial medical reports of the woman have not confirmed rape. Her clothes have been sent to the Forensic Science Laboratory (FSL), Rohini, for further examination.
- Woman fails to identify policemen she accused of rape - Jun 25, 2009
- Delhi Police register rape case against its men, no arrest yet (Lead) - Jun 24, 2009
- Delhi woman now tells court policemen did not rape her - Jun 26, 2009
- Delhi woman accuses policemen of rape, sparks mob fury (Second Lead) - Jun 23, 2009
- Woman alleges rape by policemen, sparks mob anger (Third Lead) - Jun 24, 2009
- Mob turns violent after woman alleges gang rape by cops in Delhi - Jun 23, 2009
- Mob fury after Delhi woman alleges rape by policemen (Lead) - Jun 23, 2009
- Sheila Dikshit 'upset' over gangrapes in capital - Jun 24, 2009
- Arrest of ex-minister sought in Odisha gang rape - Mar 05, 2012
- Vigilance inquiry against four policemen - Mar 30, 2011
- Pipili case: Charge sheet filed against dismissed cop - May 11, 2012
- Case against police station: Five cops suspended - Jun 17, 2011
- Another custodial death in Uttar Pradesh - Jul 08, 2011
- NCP lawmaker charged with rape, sent to three-day police custody - Feb 27, 2011
- Probe ordered into custody death in Uttar Pradesh - Oct 28, 2010