Delhi police hunt for lead in teenager’s murder (Lead)January 3rd, 2011 - 7:35 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 3 (IANS) The Delhi Police Monday continued their search for a lead in the murder of a 17-year-old girl on New Year’s day, but failed to achieve any breakthrough. “The investigation is going on and we are trying to identify the culprit,” a police official said.
The victim, whose battered body was found in Dwarka in southwest Delhi Saturday afternoon, resided with her brother in the servants’ quarters of the Lady Hardinge Hospital in New Delhi area. She had gone out for a New Year party Friday. She can not be named for legal reasons.
“We have detained four suspects from the locality,” Sharad Aggarwal, deputy commissioner of police for southwest district, told IANS.
“The four who have been detained went missing soon after the incident. We are questioning them,” Aggarwal said.
According to police, the girl was first strangled with her pair of jeans and then her face was smashed with a stone to make identification difficult.
Police claim there were no injuries on the victim’s private parts and it was yet to be established if she was raped.
“The preliminary medical reports state that the girl had sexual intercourse prior to her murder but there were no injuries on her private parts. We are investigating the case from all possible angles. We cannot confirm this to be a rape as of now. We are trying to gather leads in the case,” Aggarwal said.
He said they were awaiting the post-mortem examination report.
Another police official said the victim told her brother at around 5.30 p.m. Friday that she was going out with her friends to a party.
The body was discovered by a passer-by around 3.30 p.m. Saturday in Dwarka area, and he immediately informed the police.
- No breakthrough in Delhi teenager's murder case - Jan 03, 2011
- Teen found dead on New Year's Day - Jan 02, 2011
- Rickshaw-puller held for raping 77-year-old - Mar 14, 2011
- Two murders in Delhi - Jul 11, 2012
- Three arrested for raping, murdering minor - Jan 17, 2012
- Woman jumps from Metro station - Jan 27, 2012
- Rickshaw-puller arrested for raping 77-year-old (Lead) - Mar 14, 2011
- Missing businessman's body found, murder suspected - Feb 22, 2012
- Minor girl's body found in Delhi park - Oct 13, 2011
- 16-year-old girl found murdered in Delhi - Dec 18, 2010
- Five-year-old raped, dumped - Mar 10, 2011
- Four teens held for rape, murder of minor girl - Apr 14, 2012
- Man found murdered in Delhi - May 25, 2012
- Body in pieces: Police question victim's friend - Sep 04, 2012
- Man arrested for raping lover - Oct 31, 2011
Tags: commissioner of police, culprit, delhi area, delhi police, deputy commissioner, dwarka, locality, medical reports, mortem examination, New Delhi, old girl, police claim, police hunt, police official, post mortem, private parts, saturday afternoon, servants, sexual intercourse, southwest district