Delhi Police chief meets ChidambaramAugust 10th, 2011 - 2:33 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 10 (IANS) The Delhi Police said Police Commissioner B.K. Gupta met union Home minister P. Chidambaram Wednesday but it denied reports that the two discussed Tuesday’s crackdown on Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) workers.
“Delhi Police commissioner met home minister but it was only a routine meeting about parliament questions,” Delhi Police spokesperson Rajan Bhagat told IANS.
“No law and order issues were discussed… all reports are wrong,” Bhagat said.
Media reports quoting sources from the Delhi Police said the police commissioner briefed the home minister about the crackdown against activists of BJP’s youth wing, Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha (BJYM).
There were clashes between members of BJYM and the police when the party activists were staging a protest here at Jantar Mantar, close to parliament house.
Police lobbed teargas shells, used water cannons and resorted to baton-charge to disperse the demonstrators.
- BJP, police clash again at Jantar Mantar (Lead) - Aug 12, 2011
- Advani meets Pranab, complains about police crackdown - Aug 10, 2011
- Protesting BJP workers taken into custody - Aug 11, 2011
- Chidambaram cornered, should resign: BJP - Aug 10, 2011
- BJP workers, police clash at Jantar Mantar (Lead) - Aug 09, 2011
- BJP workers, cops clash at Jantar Mantar - Aug 09, 2011
- Rajya Sabha adjourned over BJP protests - Aug 09, 2011
- BJP targets Chidambaram, stalls parliament (Roundup) - Aug 10, 2011
- Uproar in parliament over police crackdown on BJP workers - Aug 10, 2011
- 40 injured as BJP activists clash with police - Feb 24, 2011
- BJP demands Chidambaram's resignation, disrupts parliament (Lead) - Aug 10, 2011
- BJP seeks inquiry into attack on workers - Feb 25, 2011
- Police use force on protests near PM, Sonia houses (Evening Lead) - Aug 26, 2012
- BJP's youth wing activists clash with police in Lucknow - Apr 05, 2011
- Apex court questions Delhi Police on Ramdev crackdown (Lead) - Jul 11, 2011
Tags: bharatiya janata party, bjp, clashes, crackdown, delhi police, demonstrators, k gupta, law and order, p chidambaram, parliament house, parliament questions, party activists, police chief, police commissioner, police spokesperson, quoting sources, rajan, union home minister, water cannons, yuva morcha