Delhi police chief assures adequate security for Republic DayJanuary 16th, 2009 - 9:59 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 16 (IANS) Delhi Police Commissioner Y.S. Dadwal Friday said the capital is under more terror threats this year in the run-up to the Republic Day in comparison to last year and the police have taken adequate security measures. “As many as 198 companies will be deployed for the security cover of the national capital, including 55 companies of paramilitary forces,” Dadwal told reporters here.
“Besides that, there would be intensive checking and patrolling across the capital. Electronic surveillance would also be there,” he added.
The police commissioner said Delhi has always remained under terror threat and the the police force has taken more security measures this year, especially after the Mumbai attack and Delhi serial bomb blasts.
“We seek the cooperation of Delhi residents. We request all the stake-holders, including cinema halls, malls and market places, to give emphasis on their in-out security and ensure that security in their area is properly looked after,” Dadwal added.
“Every citizen can be helpful by being more vigilant,” he said.
The police commissioner said people might face a lot of problems when the rehearsal of the Republic Day parade takes place.
“We would request people to restrict their movement on Jan 25-26 until and unless it is utmost necessary for them to move out, so that they do not face inconvenience,” Dadwal said.
- Delhi put on high alert ahead of Republic Day - Jan 21, 2012
- Around 29,000 policemen deployed for CWG, says Dadwal - Oct 02, 2010
- Republic Day: Security beefed up, traffic diversions announced - Jan 21, 2011
- Armoured vehicles to strengthen CWG security - Oct 01, 2010
- Security beefed up in Kolkata ahead of Republic Day - Jan 24, 2011
- Terror e-mail holds back shoppers in Delhi, suburbs - Sep 13, 2011
- Delhi Police chief thanks force for Games work - Oct 16, 2010
- Full security for Commonwealth, sporting events: Dadwal - Feb 16, 2010
- It is Fortress Delhi ahead of I-Day - Aug 12, 2012
- CWG was my biggest test: Outgoing Delhi Police chief - Nov 09, 2010
- Delhi may get new police chief - Nov 02, 2010
- Heavily fortified Delhi gears up for Republic Day - Jan 25, 2011
- Terrorism biggest challenge for Delhi Police: New chief (Lead) - Jun 30, 2012
- Neeraj Kumar is new Delhi Police chief (Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- India to celebrate 61st Republic Day amid tight security - Jan 26, 2010