Delhi police arrest robber on the runFebruary 21st, 2011 - 11:20 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 21 (IANS) The Delhi Police have arrested a proclaimed offender, who has been on the run for three years, from Bareilly in Uttar Pradesh, officials said Monday.The man was involved in a series of robbery cases in the capital city.
“Sajjad Akhtar (44), who claims to be district president of Uttar Pradesh Bhrastachar Virodhi Morcha and apparently runs a business under the name Sajjad Akhtar Jari Work, was held on February 17 for a spate of robberies here,” a senior police officer said.
Akhtar was using an identity card of his organisation to escape notice and police checks, the officer said.
According to the police, Akhtar is a proclaimed offender for long. In April 2003, he, along with his associates, robbed a woman of Rs.6 lakh cash and 400 gm of gold jewellery from Sadar Bazar in central Delhi.
Akhtar was involved in another robbery case, when he, wearing a traffic police uniform, threw chilli power in the eyes of a man inside a car in Mandawali area in east Delhi in April 2008 and got away with Rs.20.75 lakh, the official said.
He struck again in June 2008, robbing a man of Rs.3.50 lakh near Chawri Bazar in central Delhi.
Police intercepted Akhtar and his associates a month later during another robbery attempt. While his associates were held, Akhtar absconded, said the police official.
- Murderer evading arrest for last 20 years held - Feb 22, 2011
- Rs.15 lakh robbed from Noida home - Apr 14, 2012
- Delhi Police bust robbers gang, two arrested - Feb 05, 2011
- Woman drug peddler arrested in Delhi - Jul 09, 2012
- Man involved in four dacoities held - Mar 04, 2011
- Five people arrested for robbery in Delhi - Jun 05, 2012
- Sports Minister Maken promises to bear medical expenses of Arunima - Apr 18, 2011
- Arunima shifted to AIIMS Trauma Centre - Apr 18, 2011
- Three contract killers held in Delhi - Mar 09, 2011
- Armed robbers open fire in Delhi market, one killed - Dec 19, 2009
- Two arrested, drugs worth over Rs.62 lakh seized - May 07, 2011
- Three held for kidnapping boy for ransom - May 23, 2012
- One held for cooking up Rs.8 lakh robbery story - Nov 15, 2011
- 10 arrested for Rs.3 crore Delhi robbery - Aug 07, 2011
- Man involved in murder, robbery arrested - Mar 14, 2011
Tags: bareilly, central delhi, delhi police, district president, east delhi, gold jewellery, lakh, police arrest, police checks, police official, police uniform, proclaimed offender, robber, robberies, robbery attempt, robbery cases, rs 6, sajjad akhtar, spate, traffic police