Delhi ministers find debris, garbage at Games’ sitesJuly 9th, 2010 - 12:46 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 8 (IANS) Delhi Finance Minister A.K. Walia and Transport Minister Arvinder Singh Lovely Thursday found mounds of debris and garbage on the roads leading to the Games Village and Yamuna Sports Complex when they inspected the projects undertaken for the Commonwealth Games.
The two ministers ordered officials of the public works department (PWD) and the Delhi Development Authority (DDA) to ensure the debris and the garbage was removed from the area within this month itself.
During the inspection, they also found that there was a threat to survival of plants on central verge of Vikas Marg due to pedestrians using it to cross the road. “They instructed the installation of iron railings and hedges to ensure survival of costly plants,” officials said.
According to officials, Lovely said the Delhi Transport Corporation will start installation of 1,000 bus shelters from second week of July after proper levelling and construction of footpaths.
He said the work will be completed by Aug 15.
Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit recently instructed her ministers to look after Games projects on an area basis, according to which the two ministers have got trans-Yamuna area, besides projects by the PWD and the DDA.
- Need for solution to end water accumalation in residential areas: Walia - Nov 24, 2010
- Delhi to spend Rs.440 crore on roads, afforestation - Jun 26, 2012
- Delhi's Walled City to get a facelift ahead of Commonwealth Games - Sep 16, 2010
- Preparing for Games, Delhi battles lack of coordination - Aug 05, 2010
- Delhi Metro asked to hand over roads by July 31 - Jul 13, 2010
- Dikshit inspects Commonwealth Games road projects in Delhi - Jul 30, 2009
- Ensure adequate drinking water supplies: Dikshit to DJB - Jun 13, 2012
- Delhi to spend Rs.440 crore on roads, afforestation (lead) - Jun 26, 2012
- Clean up trans-Yamuna area, Delhi civic agency told - Jul 24, 2010
- Dikshit alerts civic agencies before monsoon - Jun 14, 2012
- Delhi bans road digging from Aug 20 - Aug 11, 2010
- Will complete all CWG projects by July 15: MCD - Jul 02, 2010
- From streetscaping to lights - CAG slams Delhi government - Aug 05, 2011
- Elevated road on drain may be extended after Games - Aug 22, 2010
- Delhi street-scaping limps as Games deadline nears - May 22, 2010
Tags: bus shelters, chief minister, commonwealth games, delhi development authority, finance minister, footpaths, games sites, hedges, iron railings, levelling, marg, mounds, New Delhi, pedestrians, pwd, transport corporation, transport minister, verge, walia, yamuna