Delhi Metro’s citizen forum to have 1,000 members before GamesJune 11th, 2010 - 8:22 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 11 (IANS) The Delhi Metro is planning to nearly double the number of its Citizen Forum members before the October Commonwealth Games in the city.
The forum sensitises Delhi Metro rail passengers about the need to behave courteously with fellow passengers besides emphasising on the importance of etiquette, discipline and cooperation.
They also inform Metro officials if an unidentified bag or suspicious commuters are found in the Metro. These members play a crucial role in helping thwart terror incidents in the Delhi Metro.
“There are around 400 members in the forum at present and we hope to raise the number to 1,000 before the Games. The new ones should be regular commuters,” a Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) spokesperson told IANS.
The forum was set up in September, 2009 with 130 members.
The volunteers in the Citizens’ Forum are from all age and social groups like students, doctors, retired army officers, teachers, businessmen and senior citizens. They have been given badges to identify them and trained in various important aspects of Metro operations by the DMRC.
“It has been a great success so far. We are holding meetings every two months to discuss plans and preparations for the Commonwealth Games. Yesterday (Thursday) also the officials and forum members discussed plans for the Games,” the spokesperson said.
He said the next meeting will be held in August.
The members are asked to furnish a photograph, identity proof, besides filling up the forms for the purpose. They are in turn given direct contact numbers of senior Metro officials with whom they can get in touch in case of any incident.
- Delhi Metro's volunteer programme gets international award - Jul 18, 2010
- Games effect: Metro officials to pick up Brit accent - May 14, 2010
- Commuter behaviour worries Metro as Games draw near - May 11, 2010
- New-look Delhi metro website unveiled - Sep 14, 2010
- Girl commits suicide at Delhi metro station - Mar 25, 2012
- Volunteers check and counsel unruly Metro commuters - Mar 04, 2009
- Delhi Metro to add 800 lifts and escalators - Jan 06, 2012
- Delhi Metro tries to curb suicides at stations - Sep 06, 2012
- Fourth suicide at Delhi Metro premises in 6 days (Lead) - May 08, 2012
- Sreedharan inspects metro extension to Ghaziabad - Jun 16, 2011
- Delhi Metro completes eight years, plans more trains - Dec 24, 2010
- Woman gives birth to girl on Metro train (Lead) - Jul 22, 2012
- Metro collects over Rs.70,000 in fines from men in women's coaches - Feb 25, 2012
- Efforts on to start Metro's Airport Express Line before Games - Sep 28, 2010
- Soon, automatic top-up of Metro smart cards - Jan 15, 2012
Tags: army officers, businessmen, citizen forum, citizens forum, commonwealth games, commuters, contact numbers, delhi metro rail, delhi metro rail corporation, direct contact, dmrc, emphasising, fellow passengers, forum members, games new, metro officials, rail passengers, senior citizens, social groups, spokesperson