Delhi Metro to add 800 lifts and escalatorsJanuary 6th, 2012 - 8:09 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 6 (IANS) The Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) will install 800 more lifts and escalators at Metro stations for easy and hassle free movement of commuters, a Delhi Metro official said Thursday.
“We will add 800 more lifts and escalators which will provide safe and convenient movement inside the Metro stations in upcoming Phase III,” a DMRC official said.
The Phase-III, to be completed by 2016, will add another 117 km to the Metro network. Metro stretches in this phase are Mukundpur to Yamuna Vihar, Janakpuri West to Kalindi Kunj, Central Secretariat to Kashmere Gate and Jahangirpuri to Badli.
At present, DMRC operates 399 lifts and 490 escalators across its 140 Metro stations.
According to DMRC, every year about 72 crore Metro commuters use these lifts and escalators while traversing the Delhi Metro. On a daily basis, 12 lakh people use escalators while three lakh use lifts.
“The DMRC has provided a safe and hassle-free journey to all Metro commuters without registering any incident of trapping or failure in 2011,” the official said.
Apart from this, every year DMRC observe a ’safety awareness week’ for elevators and escalators from Jan 1-7, when commuters will be guided to have a safe ride.
“Station staff along with 125 volunteers of Bharat Scouts and Guides of Northern Railways are deputed at the stations about the safe use of elevators and escalators at all the Delhi Metro stations,” DMRC official added.
As of now, the Delhi Metro makes over 2,400 trips per day, traversing about 70,000 km and carrying around 1.8 million passengers on working days. By 2016, it is expected to carry about four million passengers daily.
- Two more bridges across Yamuna in Delhi Metro Phase-III - Sep 15, 2011
- Top Delhi Metro official resigns - Apr 19, 2012
- Metro Phase III will be built by 2016 - May 02, 2012
- Nehru Place to get second Metro station - Sep 02, 2012
- Secretariat-Kashmere Gate Metro line expected by 2015 - May 25, 2012
- Metro to build two stations near airport - Sep 21, 2011
- Metro construction picks up; traffic snarls expected - Apr 21, 2012
- Metro to introduce eight coach trains by June - Jan 12, 2012
- Delhi Metro to connect more hospitals - Apr 11, 2012
- Metro ridership touches 18 lakh, sets new record - Aug 02, 2011
- Metro commuters to get tips on safe travel - Feb 20, 2012
- Delhi Metro Phase III gets bigger, to cover Jamia, Faridabad - Jan 31, 2011
- Metro completes first tunnel of Phase III - Jul 26, 2012
- Efforts on to minimise Metro snags, say officials - Mar 30, 2012
- Commuter indiscipline swells Delhi Metro coffers - Aug 26, 2011
Tags: central secretariat, commuters, crore, daily basis, delhi metro rail, delhi metro rail corporation, dmrc, elevators and escalators, hassle, lakh, lifts and escalators, metro network, metro stations, New Delhi, northern railways, phase iii, safety awareness, secretariat, station staff, trapping