Delhi Metro staff beat up commuterApril 14th, 2011 - 11:21 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 14 (IANS) A passenger was allegedly beaten up by the customer care staff of the Delhi Metro here after an altercation, police said Thursday. Metro officials said the fight broke out after the commuter used abusive language and tried take money out of the cash counter.
“Delhi Metro Rail Corporation’s (DMRC) customer care staff bashed up S.K. Jain, a resident of Vivek Vihar in east Delhi, after an altercation at 8.00 p.m. Wednesday at Karkardooma metro station after a spat over a smartcard refund,” said a senior police officer.
A DMRC official, however, said Jain started abusing the staff when he was told that there was a shortage of change.
“On citing non-availability of change by the staff, Jain used abusive language and tried to put his hands into the cash drawer,” the official said.
This led to physical confrontation between Jain and the official manning the counter.
Jain, who was rushed to Deepak Memorial Hospital, told police that the Metro official was rude and used abusive language.
The DMRC has suspended the customer care official and the station controller after the incident and ordered a probe.
Jain, who lives with his wife Sapna and a five-year-old child, is still recuperating at the hospital, the police officer said.
- Soon, automatic top-up of Metro smart cards - Jan 15, 2012
- Delhi Metro tries to curb suicides at stations - Sep 06, 2012
- Delhi Metro to add 800 lifts and escalators - Jan 06, 2012
- Woman gives birth to girl on Metro train (Lead) - Jul 22, 2012
- Metro is proud symbol of India's growth: Pratibha Patil - Jul 08, 2012
- Men riding Delhi Metro women's coaches thrashed - Nov 26, 2010
- Mock drills at six Metro stations - Feb 13, 2012
- Fourth suicide at Delhi Metro premises in 6 days (Lead) - May 08, 2012
- Metro commuters to get tips on safe travel - Feb 20, 2012
- Metro commuters hit by mock drill - Feb 15, 2012
- Metro collects over Rs.70,000 in fines from men in women's coaches - Feb 25, 2012
- Sreedharan inspects metro extension to Ghaziabad - Jun 16, 2011
- Delhi Metro to get new helpline number - Dec 26, 2010
- Two central Delhi Metro stations to close early on New Year's eve - Dec 30, 2011
- Girl commits suicide at Delhi metro station - Mar 25, 2012
Tags: abusive language, altercation, april 14, cash drawer, customer care staff, delhi metro rail, delhi metro rail corporation, dmrc, east delhi, memorial hospital, metro officials, metro staff, metro station, New Delhi, physical confrontation, police officer, police said thursday, sapna, spat, station controller