Delhi Metro Rail accidents - a time lineOctober 19th, 2008 - 6:54 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 19 (IANS) Collapse of an under construction flyover may be a one-of-its-kind accident in the decade old history of the Delhi Metro but the mass transport system of the national capital has witnessed many small accidents.Following is an accident time-line of Delhi Metro in recent times:
Oct 19, 2008: An under construction flyover collapsed in Laxmi Nagar of east Delhi due to mechanical failure leading to the death of at least two people. Nearly 30 people were injured.
One blueline bus, one truck, one crane, and a few private cars were damaged.
Sep 30, 2008: A prisoner was injured after he got dragged by a Metro train across the length of the Chandni Chowk platform. The prisoner Joginder, 35, was tied to another prisoner with a rope and was escorted by three policemen. He seemed to have got off the train but his partner remained inside the coach.
The otherwise sensitive doors of the metro train shut and the train began to move with the rope stuck between the doors. Joginder got dragged till the end of the platform where fortunately it snapped, saving his life.
July 18, 2008: A malfunctioning crane at a metro construction site near Ram Monohar Lohia hospital dropped a four tonne iron beam on a passing Tavera car.
While the driver, Manoj, 23, was trapped inside the car for some time and sustained multiple fractures, another passenger sustained minor injuries.
Jan 21, 2008: A labourer was killed at a Delhi Metro construction site here while carrying out burrowing work.
Vijay Mandal, 40, was killed as the side of a hole, being dug to house an underground water tank, collapsed at a metro construction site in Laxmi Nagar in east Delhi.
Aug 28, 2007: A crane driver died after a concrete block fell on him due to a “technical failure” at a Delhi Metro construction site in Mayur Vihar in east Delhi.
The victim, B. Singh, was an employee of Navyug Construction Company that is building the metro line on the Mayur Vihar-Noida stretch.
- A chronology of Delhi Metro accidents - Jul 12, 2009
- Metro Rail pillar falls on auto-rickshaw, injures two in Delhi's Sarita Vihar - Mar 24, 2010
- Six killed in Delhi road accidents (Roundup) - Feb 21, 2012
- Two pedestrians killed in east Delhi - Feb 20, 2012
- Massive mock drill conducted in Delhi (Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- More rain in Delhi spells chaos on city roads (Second Lead) - Aug 24, 2012
- Man shot at in Metro station - Feb 04, 2012
- Power failure, rains hit Delhi traffic, commuters (Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- Traffic jams: Police try to pacify commuters - Aug 14, 2011
- Crane topples at Metro site, two injured - Mar 24, 2010
- Mumbai Metro accident: One killed, 11 injured (Lead) - Sep 04, 2012
- Track record (To go with Metro suicide story) - Mar 13, 2012
- Man jumps before Metro train, dies (Lead, Superseding earlier story) - Mar 06, 2012
- Metro worker killed in accident - Nov 18, 2011
- Over 100 workers killed during Delhi metro construction since 1998 - Sep 03, 2010