Delhi Metro mock drill hits commuters (Lead)July 28th, 2012 - 4:29 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 28 (IANS) Delhi Metro commuters had a harrowing time Saturday with train services remaining disrupted for nearly an hour due to mock drills at 11 stations.
“The drill started at 11 a.m. and ended at 11.50 a.m.,” a Delhi Metro official told IANS.
Entry into the stations was closed as part of the standard emergency procedure, the official said.
“Announcements were made in the trains and stations during this period urging commuters to remain calm. Thereafter, normalcy was restored,” the official said.
The drill was conducted at Central Secretariat, Shahdara, Pitampura, Badarpur, Kirti Nagar, Chandni Chowk, Akshardham, Karol Bagh, Noida City Centre, Guru Dronacharya and Dwarka Sector 11 stations, catching commuters off-guard.
The Delhi Disaster Management Authority conducted the drill along with the National Disaster Management Authority to check if the Delhi Metro staff were ready to tackle emergencies such as earthquakes, bomb blasts and terror attacks.
“I was going to office when the drill began and was not allowed to enter the station,” said Aniket Singh, 26. He then boarded a bus and it took him two hours to reach office instead of the usual half an hour.
Arushi Bhatia had a similar experience and missed her class in college.
“I had to board the metro from Karol Bagh but due to the mock drill, I had to take an auto to my college. I missed my class due to a traffic jam,” she said.
While many complained about the drill, some supported it.
“This is a must to keep the officials on their toes. Such drills should be conducted more often,” said Shadab Khan, 38, who uses the metro daily to commute between his home in Subhash Nagar and shop in Karol Bagh.
Delhi Metro periodically conducts mock drills in which scenarios such as terrorist attacks, evacuation from trains and stations, derailment and fire are simulated, said a Delhi Metro Rail Corporation statement.
- Delhi Metro mock drills hit commuters - Jul 28, 2012
- Mock drills at 11 Delhi Metro stations Saturday - Jul 27, 2012
- Metro commuters hit by mock drill - Feb 15, 2012
- Mock drills at six Metro stations - Feb 13, 2012
- Massive mock drill conducted in Delhi (Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- Quake mock-drills in Delhi Wednesday - Feb 13, 2012
- Drill to check Delhi's earthquake preparedness - Feb 14, 2012
- An earthquake in Delhi? No, just a drill - Feb 15, 2012
- Thousands hit by Delhi Metro mock drill - Mar 26, 2010
- Delhi readies for mass drill to test disaster preparedness - Feb 15, 2012
- Huge crowds on Delhi Metro due to Games - Oct 05, 2010
- BJP protests petrol price hike in capital - May 16, 2011
- Mock drills to check alertness during terror attacks - Mar 25, 2010
- Auto Expo tickets available from Saturday - Jan 05, 2012
- Three Metro stations to close for two hours Wednesday - Jul 25, 2012
Tags: bomb blasts, central secretariat, chandni chowk, commuters, delhi metro rail, delhi metro rail corporation, derailment, disaster management, dwarka, emergency procedure, half an hour, karol bagh, management authority, metro staff, national disaster, noida, normalcy, terror attacks, traffic jam, train services