Delhi Metro bridge collapse: Rs.1 mn fine on AFCONSOctober 20th, 2008 - 9:40 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 20 (IANS) The Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) Monday imposed a fine of Rs.1 million on a private construction firm, a day after an under-construction bridge collapsed here killing two people.The Metro corporation also suspended two of its engineers for a seemingly technical failure that caused the collapse of the Delhi Metro bridge near Laxmi Nagar, said DMRC spokesman Anuj Dayal.
“DMRC has imposed a fine of Rs.1 million on the contractor, AFCONS, (in charge of the segment near the accident site),” Dayal said, adding two officials of the contracting firm have also been removed from the DMRC works.
“Action against the contractor shall be decided on completion of the enquiry”, Dayal added.
The accident occurred at around 7 a.m. Sunday in Laxmi Nagar of east Delhi when a launcher machine joining prefabricated, heavy concrete structures between two pillars collapsed, leading to a part of the bridge under construction coming down. Nearly 30 people were also injured.
The road remained blocked Monday morning with debris and parts of machinery still not cleared.
The stretch of road from ITO towards Laxmi Nagar, where the bridge collapsed, was blocked, resulting in the traffic movement between Preet Vihar and ITO coming to a halt. DMRC officials had claimed that the debris would be cleared by Monday morning.
The Vikas Marg stretch sees huge vehicular traffic during morning and evening rush hours. With the road being blocked, commuters had a harrowing time.
“I thought the route would have been cleared by morning. But I forgot that work in our country takes place at a slow pace,” said Ashok Gupta, who takes this route to commute to his office in Ghaziabad.
Dayal said it seems some mechanical failure or material failure of the launcher caused the imbalance and toppling.
- Delhi Metro bridge collapse: road still blocked - Oct 20, 2008
- Metro construction picks up; traffic snarls expected - Apr 21, 2012
- Two killed in Delhi Metro viaduct collapse (Roundup) - Oct 19, 2008
- Two killed in Delhi Metro flyover collapse, probe ordered (Second Lead) - Oct 19, 2008
- More rain in Delhi spells chaos on city roads (Second Lead) - Aug 24, 2012
- Power failure, rains hit Delhi traffic, commuters (Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- Harrowing time for Delhi as shutdown hits traffic (Lead) - May 31, 2012
- R-Day Parade rehearsal hits traffic - Jan 23, 2012
- Metro Rail pillar falls on auto-rickshaw, injures two in Delhi's Sarita Vihar - Mar 24, 2010
- Rains lash Delhi again, commuter woes continue - Sep 16, 2011
- Signal snag hits thousands of Metro commuters (Lead) - Mar 29, 2012
- Huge jams as capital's schools, colleges reopen - Oct 18, 2010
- With rising ridership, Delhi Metro to have more gates - Jun 20, 2012
- Delhi Metro to add 800 lifts and escalators - Jan 06, 2012
- Over 36,000 cards sold in Delhi Metro's 'Smart Card Week' - May 16, 2011