Delhi management student gang-raped in Noida, five arrested (Lead)January 6th, 2009 - 8:59 pm ICT by IANS
Noida, Jan 6 (IANS) A 21-year-old management student from south Delhi was waylaid by around 10 young men when she was leaving a popular mall here with a friend Monday evening, kidnapped her and raped her at a desolate spot. Five of the men were arrested Tuesday, the police said.The victim had gone with her friend Amit Pawar, a resident of south Delhi’s Hauz Khas locality, to the mall in Sector 18 market here for shopping.
The police said the girl and her friend, both classmates at a private management institute in Noida, were in their WagonR car and returning to their homes in Delhi after watching a late-night film show at a theatre in the mall, when around 10 men intercepted their car.
The men, in their early 20s and residents of Garhi Chaukhandi village in Sector 58, were returning after playing a cricket match. They were riding a Scorpio SUV and two motorcycles.
“The accused were carrying cricket bats and stumps. They got down from their bikes and one of them took the wheel of the car. The other men thrashed Pawar and they drove the car to a secluded spot in Noida Sector 71,” said a police officer.
“They then allegedly took turns to rape the victim. The men fled after taking away the mobile phones of the girl and her friend with them,” the officer said.
After the assault, the victim and her friend reached their homes and told their parents about the incident.
Superintendent of Police (Noida) A.K. Tripathi said, “The victim reported the matter to police at 1.30 a.m. and we arrested five men within 12 hours.”
“In the primary medical tests, no internal injuries were found on her body. She would be taken for further tests,” Tripathi said.
Medical examination later confirmed the rape.
The police said they registered a case under the Indian Penal Code (IPC) sections 376 (rape), 394 (voluntarily causing hurt in committing robbery) and 342 (wrongful confinement).
“We are now looking for five other men who are involved in the incident,” Tripathi added.
“We constituted six police teams and raided the residents of the accused on the basis of the description given by the victim. We arrested five criminals and recovered the articles used in the crime,” Tripathi added.
During interrogation, the five revealed their names as Pushpendra Yadav, Sri Kant Yadav, Sanjay Yadav, Sudhir Yadav and Gautam Yadav.
- One more arrested for Noida gang rape - Jan 11, 2009
- Management student gangraped in Noida, five arrested - Jan 06, 2009
- Women's commission probes Noida gang rape - Jan 07, 2009
- Girl gang raped in basement of Ghaziabad mall - May 04, 2012
- Noida rapists to be booked under NSA, Gangster Act - Jan 07, 2009
- Women's panel slams Noida police for naming rape victim - Feb 27, 2012
- Samajwadi Party activists protest Noida rape arrests - Jan 10, 2009
- Two more suspects arrested for Noida gang rape - Jan 10, 2009
- Two held for Ghaziabad gangrape - Mar 15, 2012
- Car jacker turns out to be Seemapuri gang rape accused - Feb 09, 2011
- Our sons did not rape management student: Noida villagers - Jan 08, 2009
- Woman gangraped in Noida, one arrested - Apr 08, 2012
- Four arrested for raping minor girl - Feb 27, 2012
- Two Rajasthan businessmen held for raping Delhi student - Nov 22, 2011
- Man robbed at gunpoint, three car thefts in Noida - Sep 08, 2010