Delhi man arrested for murdering friendMarch 2nd, 2012 - 11:36 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 2 (IANS) A 22-year-old man was arrested for the brutal murder of a friend for his car and jewellery in 2011, police said Friday.
Sanjay Bhattacharya, the mastermind behind the murder, was arrested Friday from the New Delhi Railway Station. His two associates, including a minor, are already in police custody.
Bhattacharya, along with Manish Kumar, around 20 years old, and a juvenile had killed 26-year-old Shrikant Singh July 29, 2011, in Greater Noida, Uttar Pradesh, and escaped with his new i10 car, gold ornaments and cash.
“The victim was friends with Bhattacharya who took him to his apartment in Greater Noida on the pretext of providing him some cash loan. However, after getting him drunk, Sanjay strangled Shrikant with a wire, assisted by his two accomplices and later beheaded him,” said a police official.
“They wrapped Shrikan’ts body in a bedsheet while the head was kept in a bag. The body was disposed of in Kasola in Haryana’s Rewari district while the head, knife, wire and chappals were thrown at a spot beside the Jaipur Highway,” added the official.
They then drove Shrikant’s car to Shahjahanpur, Uttar Pradesh, and sold it to Rajdeep Singh Chauhan and received Rs. 50,000 as partial payment.
The body was recovered July, 30, 2011.
The family members suspected the three accused to be behind the murder and the police arrested Kumar and the juvenile who confessed to their crime.
However, Bhattacharya was on the run and police got a tip-off that he was working at a petrol pump in a remote district of Jharkhand.
Upon raiding the pump, police realised Bhattacharya had left for Ranchi to meet his friend as he was in a financial crisis. When the team came to Ranchi, it learnt that he had left for Delhi.
Police got a tip-off that he would be leaving for Jharkhand Friday and was finally arrested from New Delhi Railway Station.
- Man arrested for killing lover - Jan 09, 2012
- Man wanted in 13 criminal cases arrested - Jul 13, 2012
- To fix wife, man fakes death, elopes with her lover's sister - Jun 11, 2011
- Youth arrested for murder - Jun 17, 2011
- Four Maoists held in Jharkhand - Nov 09, 2011
- Maoist commander arrested in Jharkhand - Jan 02, 2011
- Man held for sodomising, killing minor - Apr 12, 2011
- Detonators, gelatin sticks seized in Jharkhand - Jun 08, 2012
- Four Maoists arrested in Ranchi - Jan 02, 2012
- Hardcore Maoist held in Delhi (Lead) - Jun 07, 2012
- Jharkhand terror suspect taken to Delhi (Second Lead) - Mar 02, 2012
- Two Maoists arrested in Jharkhand - Oct 14, 2011
- Woman Maoist arrested in Jharkhand - Dec 14, 2010
- Ex-official's nephew, three others held for his killing - Apr 11, 2011
- Jharkhand terror suspect taken to Delhi (Lead) - Mar 01, 2012
Tags: accomplices, bedsheet, brutal murder, car gold, cash loan, delhi police, financial crisis, gold ornaments, haryana, jharkhand, mastermind, murder of a friend, New Delhi, police custody, police official, pretext, railway station, ranchi, rewari, sanjay