Delhi Legal Services Authority to help rescued child labourersJune 24th, 2009 - 9:41 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 24 (IANS) The Delhi Legal Services Authority (DLSA) Wednesday said it will come up with a rehabilitation plan and provide legal help to 51 child labourers rescued from an embroidery unit in the capital last week.
A team of DLSA office bearers, including member secretary Asha Menon and project officer Sanjay Sharma, visited the children at a rehabilitation home in Burari Wednesday.
“We have talked to the children and will chalk out a plan for prosecuting those who forced these children to work when they should be studying,” Sharma told IANS.
The children, all aged between 8 to 14 years, were trafficked from Bihar and were working under inhuman conditions at the embroidery unit in Sarai Kale Khan area near Nizamuddin here.
Sharma added that the children were being forced to work without remuneration.
“We will book the employers on abduction charges as some children told us that they are here without their parents’ consent. So a case of abduction can be made,” said Sharma.
The children were rescued by Delhi Police with the help of NGO Bachpan Bachao Andolan.
The employers and the traffickers could be sentenced to one year in jail along with a fine of Rs.10,000 under the Child Labour (Protection and Regulation) Act.
- 36 child labourers rescued in Delhi - Apr 19, 2011
- No rehabilitation for 95 percent of rescued child labourers - Jan 25, 2011
- 26 child labourers rescued in Delhi - Apr 25, 2011
- 29 child labourers rescued from Delhi - Jul 15, 2011
- 25 child labourers rescued in Delhi - Mar 09, 2011
- 19 child labourers rescued in Delhi - Jul 26, 2011
- 39 child labourers rescued in Delhi - Apr 26, 2011
- 20 child labourers rescued in Delhi - May 10, 2011
- Court gets draft Delhi bill on trafficking of kids (Lead) - May 28, 2012
- 26 child workers rescued in Delhi - Feb 15, 2011
- 53 child workers rescued - Oct 04, 2011
- 42 child labourers rescued in Delhi, Punjab - Jun 07, 2011
- Prohibit employment of children in circuses: apex court (Lead) - Apr 18, 2011
- 12 child labourers rescued in Delhi - May 30, 2011
- Six units employing child labourers sealed, 20 held - Mar 24, 2011