Delhi lawyers file plea against court fee hikeAugust 7th, 2012 - 8:52 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 7 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Bar Association Tuesday moved the Delhi High Court and sought the quashing of a law aimed at a 10-fold hike in court fees. The increase would put a heavy financial burden on litigants, it said.
The association said that the Delhi government had recently notified the Court Fee (Amendment) Act, 2012, due to which the common people will have to pay a higher court fee. The act came into force Aug 1.
“The act is against the basic values and ideals of the administration of justice in a welfare state,” said the petition.
The court would hear the matter Aug 9.
The Delhi government recently decided to increase the court fees to collect an additional Rs.450 crore annually.
Filing the petition against the state government, the bar association said: “The rate at which the court fees is sought to be levied negates the concept of a fee and partakes the character of tax.”
“The respondent, whose primary duty is to administer justice should do so out of public revenues and not put justice up for sale.”
Work in all the district courts in the capital was affected Aug 6 when lawyers went on a strike to protest against the hike in court fees.
- Delhi High Court stays court fee hike - Aug 09, 2012
- No rollback of court fee hike, Delhi tells court - Aug 28, 2012
- Court fees hike: Delhi questions counsel's appearance - Sep 11, 2012
- Civic agencies get court notice on illegal hookah bars - Aug 01, 2012
- Court rejects plea against tax on marriage marquees (Lead) - Sep 30, 2011
- Court notice on Delhi's illegal colonies - Aug 22, 2012
- Court tells Delhi power regulator to notify tariff hike - Jul 11, 2012
- Apex court queries Delhi airport development fee - Aug 21, 2012
- SC issues notice to CBI on Essar Teleholdings' petition (Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- Government asked to finalise policy on ex-judges' advice - Feb 29, 2012
- NGO moves apex court against curtailed RTI access, high fee - May 16, 2012
- SC issues notice to CBI on Essar Teleholdings' petition - Feb 15, 2012
- Court notice to Delhi over right to education (Lead) - Oct 19, 2011
- Apex court dismisses plea on Soumitra Sen impeachment - Nov 25, 2011
- Delhi panel gives report to court on school fees hike - Aug 23, 2012
Tags: administration of justice, amendment act, common people, crore, delhi government, delhi high court, delhi lawyers, district courts, fee hike, financial burden, litigants, New Delhi, petition, plea, public revenues, respondent, state government, welfare state