Delhi judges pitch in to rehabilitate child labourersAugust 26th, 2008 - 1:53 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 26 (IANS) Judges of the Delhi High Court have decided to help rehabilitate rescued child labourers - they will now contribute a part of their salaries and form a fund for this purpose, along with an NGO.Delhi High Court Chief Justice A.P. Shah announced the decision of the judges earlier this month in consultation with members of the labour ministry, the Delhi Legal Services Authority (DLSA) and the Bachpan Bachao Andolan (BBA), a civil society group working for child rights.
Kailash Satyarthi of BBA said the corpus would be formed in a week’s time.
“BBA along with DLSA is still working on the project proposal and it should be done in another one week’s time. It’s a unique initiative because probably for the first time judges have come forward to help rescued child labourers and empower them with education,” Satyarthi told IANS.
While the association will look at rehabilitating rescued child labourers from Delhi and other states, it will also support their families to ensure that they don’t push their children to work again.
Educating the kids will also be given importance as Justice Shah stressed that the 93rd constitutional amendment makes education not just a legal duty but also a right.
“After working out the proposal, it will be decided what portion of their salaries the judges will contribute every month. Whatever it maybe, just the fact that they have come forth for a cause like this is encouraging,” Satyarthi said.
- 26 child labourers rescued in Delhi - Apr 25, 2011
- 39 child labourers rescued in Delhi - Apr 26, 2011
- Cancel licences of units employing child labourers: Court - Apr 28, 2011
- Child labour generates Rs.120,000 crore in black money: NGO - Jun 12, 2011
- 29 child labourers rescued from Delhi - Jul 15, 2011
- 42 child labourers rescued in Delhi, Punjab - Jun 07, 2011
- Police arrest child killer employer - Apr 21, 2011
- Six units employing child labourers sealed, 20 held - Mar 24, 2011
- Seven kids go missing in Delhi every day - Jul 20, 2011
- Social Activist Kailash Satyarthi to get 2009 Defender of Democracy Award in U.S - Oct 20, 2009
- 7-year-old servant girl rescued in Delhi - Apr 07, 2011
- 36 child labourers rescued in Delhi - Apr 19, 2011
- Child labourers rescued from Delhi electrical unit - May 05, 2010
- Jharkhand asked to set up child rights commission - Jan 20, 2011
- Court summons Delhi Police chief on NGO's complaint (Lead) - Mar 18, 2011