Delhi High Court raps government on illegal schoolsDecember 18th, 2008 - 7:58 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 18 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Thursday pulled up the Delhi government and the Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) for not checking mushrooming growth of unauthorised schools in the capital.A division bench headed by Chief Justice Ajit Prakash Shah and Justice S.Muralidhar was critical of the government’s inaction in implementing the court’s earlier direction to stop these unauthorised schools, in which more than 100,000 children are studying, from functioning.
The court also asked the government to submit a detailed report within two weeks and posted the next hearing to Feb 11 next year.
The court was hearing a public interest petition filed by NGO Social Jurist in 2006, through its advocate Ashok Aggarwal, who had highlighted the government’s failure to check the mushrooming growth of thousands of unsafe, unauthorised, illegal, ill-equipped and unrecognised private schools in Delhi.
Aggarwal argued before the court that many of these schools claim that they are recognised but in fact are not, and thus are cheating the innocent parents.
“These schools are nothing but ill-equipped teaching shops and need to be checked and regulated by the government in the interest of children and parents,” he said.
- Court questions Delhi government on education of disabled - Jul 10, 2011
- Government questioned on school's refusal to admit poor - Feb 01, 2011
- Delhi government rescues mentally-ill woman off street - Jan 21, 2011
- Notice to Delhi, central governments on unauthorised colonies - Feb 17, 2012
- Bihar doctors get legal shield against attacks - Jul 19, 2011
- Rules for hiring teachers for disabled approved, court told - Oct 10, 2011
- Contempt notice issued to Delhi chief secretary, MCD chief - Sep 20, 2010
- Court notice to Delhi government, MCD over poor conditions in schools - Sep 19, 2012
- Court refuses to stay toddlers' admission in Delhi schools - Dec 21, 2011
- Check misuse of sex determination law: court - Jul 06, 2010
- Three Delhi schools issued notice on admission of poor students - Nov 05, 2009
- Court notice to 12 private hospitals in Delhi - Aug 08, 2012
- Court notice to Delhi government, Tihar jail over custodial death - May 23, 2012
- Notices to defence ministry, army for bias in military school intake - Nov 11, 2009
- 'Conditions of MCD schools worst under BJP rule' - Apr 06, 2012