Delhi High Court pulls up municipal council for callousnessDecember 1st, 2008 - 11:02 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 1 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Monday pulled up New Delhi Municipal Council (NDMC) for its “callous attitude” towards a land acquisition case pending for over 30 years and asked the agency’s chairman to appear before it. A division bench of Justices A.K.Sikri and Manmohan Singh said that despite earlier observations, the NDMC did not act in a “proper manner”, and asked its chairman to appear in person Dec 3.
It was an admitted position that the NDMC had encroached upon and usurped the land belonging to the Guru Nanak Vidhya Bhandar Trust land in 1979, without formally acquiring it, the court said.
“More than 30 years have elapsed since the possession of the land was taken by the NDMC, and the petitioner is still trying to get proper compensation for acquisition of the land,” the court observed.
“The manner in which the suit earlier proceeded and now the present petition is prolonged, gives us an impression that not only the petitioner but even the court is taken for a ride,” it added.
In 1979, the Guru Nanak Vidya Bhandar Trust had filed a suit for recovery of a piece of land (9, Jantar Mantar Road) situated in the heart of the national capital. The land was used to extend the Tolstoy Marg from Janpath to the Parliament Street.
In March 2006, the court gave its judgment against the civic body, which was later challenged by it before a division bench and in the Supreme Court. On both occasions, those appeals were dismissed — in May 2007 and Oct 2007 respectively.
It was then that the NDMC initiated the process of land acquisition.
- Court rejects villagers' plea against Gujarat project - Jun 23, 2011
- Court rejects petition challenging land acquisition for RIL - Mar 04, 2011
- Petitioner find Rs.20,000 for plea against court - Feb 10, 2011
- 'Fertile land won't be acquired for power plants' - Sep 05, 2012
- DDA rapped for delaying shelters for mentally ill - May 18, 2010
- Court to hear legislator's plea against NDMC - Jan 27, 2011
- Court sets aside land acquisition in Greater Noida - May 30, 2011
- Plea questioning creation of NDMC dismissed - Sep 12, 2011
- Use discretion for poor, apex court tells states - Jan 18, 2011
- Land acquisition for Vedanta University quashed - Nov 16, 2010
- Court seeks report from civic agencies on water-logging - Jul 11, 2012
- Apex court cautions high courts on use of powers - Nov 03, 2010
- Singur land act held valid, Singur farmers celebrate - Sep 29, 2011
- Supreme Court quashes land acquisition in Greater Noida - Jul 07, 2011
- Mundra Port SEZ gets halt order on green clearance - May 09, 2012