Delhi High Court lawyers join strikeJuly 12th, 2012 - 4:11 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 12 (IANS) Lawyers of the Delhi High Court Thursday abstained from attending the court and joined a two-day strike called by the Bar Council of India (BCI) to protest a proposed legislation that could affect its autonomy and allow entry of foreign law institutes and universities in India.
The strike, called for Wednesday and Thursday, is to protest four proposed legislations, including the National Accreditation Regulatory Authority for Higher Educational Institutions Bill, 2010.
The strike has paralysed functioning of the high court and six district courts in Delhi, lawyers said.
The high court lawyers had not joined the protest Wednesday, but abstained from work Thursday.
Mostly, proxy counsel appeared before the court to get next date of hearing.
“We are not on strike, but are abstaining ourselves from going to court,” Delhi High Court Bar Association president A.S. Chandhiok told IANS.
The strike has paralysed all judicial proceedings in the city’s six district courts complexes at Patiala House, Tis Hazari, Rohini, Dwarka, Saket and Karkardooma.
President of Rohini Court Bar Association Inder Singh Saroha told IANS that lawyers’ strike aimed at telling the government not to go against the legal fraternity.
“If the government does not hear our demands, we can call for a nationwide agitation,” said Saroha.
Secretary of New Delhi Bar Association Jagdeep Vats called the strike successful since none of counsel appeared in any city court.
The city lawyers were on strike at the BCI’s call, said chairman of Delhi District Courts Bar Association Co-ordination Committee and president of Delhi Bar Association R.N. Vats.
Work in courts across the country was severely affected Wednesday too, after around 17 lakh lawyers joined the strike.
- Delhi lawyers observe strike on bar council's call - Jul 11, 2012
- Lawyers strike hits court work on day two - Jul 12, 2012
- Nationwide lawyers' strike badly hits court proceedings (Roundup) - Jul 11, 2012
- Delhi lawyers to strike work Thursday - Jan 11, 2012
- Lawyers' strike cripples judicial work in northeast - Jul 11, 2012
- Attack on judges: Delhi lawyers observe strike - May 18, 2012
- Lawyers' strike in Delhi district courts - Sep 29, 2011
- Lawyers strike work in Delhi courts - Mar 24, 2011
- Lawyers' strike cripples Delhi district courts - Jan 12, 2012
- Four held for attack on Delhi judges (Lead) - May 18, 2012
- Judges, lawyers mourn blast deaths - Sep 08, 2011
- Delhi lawyers strike work against bills - Jan 20, 2012
- Lawyers' protest paralyses Delhi courts - Apr 07, 2012
- Delhi lawyers strike work against bills (Lead) - Jan 20, 2012
- I-cards, welfare fund proposed for lawyers' clerks - Apr 07, 2011
Tags: bar council of india, city lawyers, court lawyers, delhi high court, delhi lawyers, district courts, dwarka, higher educational institutions, inder singh, jagdeep, judicial proceedings, law institutes, legal fraternity, national accreditation, nationwide agitation, rohini, saket, tis hazari, universities in india, vats