Delhi High Court directs DDA to take encroached land backMay 2nd, 2012 - 10:05 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 2 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Wednesday directed the Delhi Development Authority (DDA) to take suitable actions for taking back possession of land encroached by Delhi legislator Asif Mohammad Khan for running an illegal zoo.
A division bench of Acting Chief Justice A.K. Sikri and Justice Rajiv Sahai Endlaw hearing a public suit seeking the removal of illegal constructions on DDA land by the legislator, also referred the case to the Delhi Lokayukta to initiate appropriate enquiry in the case.
The petition filed by Kamran Siddique alleged that Khan, who represents Okhla constituency, encroached on about 5 bighas (1.25 hectare) of DDA land and was running an illegal zoo on the land.
Accepting the plea that Khan had illegally encroached the DDA land, the bench directed the director of Wildlife Preservation to carry out the inspection of the land immediately and take necessary action.
“Director, Wildlife Preservation to carry out the inspection immediately to find out the ground reality and take proper action,” the court said.
The court, going through the site map and demarcation report submitted by the counsel of Delhi government, also ordered that surprise inspection would also be carried out in future to prevent him from encroaching the land again.
“The MLA (legislator) has encroached about 5 bigha land of DDA bearing khasra no.409, village Jasola, New Delhi and he is running the illegal zoo on the encroached land,” the petition said.
Seeking registration of a criminal case against the sitting MLA on charges of criminal trespass and land grabbing, the petition added that Khan’s act was in contravention of provisions of the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act and Wildlife Protection Act and the court should direct the police to take action against him.
- Court notice over legislator's encroachment of DDA land - Feb 23, 2012
- High court issues notice to Bukhari, ASI (Lead) - May 31, 2012
- We have reclaimed land from mosque, DDA tells court - Jan 14, 2011
- Land reclaimed after mosque demolition, DDA tells court (Lead) - Jan 14, 2011
- Apex court puts sealing in Delhi on hold, to examine law - Jan 03, 2012
- MCD asked for report on sealing drive - Apr 02, 2011
- Delhi civic agency given 4 months to clear encroachments - May 12, 2010
- Court asks illegal Delhi mosque to relocate - Mar 21, 2011
- Delhi mosque demolition: DDA to file report in court - Jan 13, 2011
- Notice to Delhi, central governments on unauthorised colonies - Feb 17, 2012
- MCD, DDA pulled up over illegal encroachments - Apr 29, 2010
- Court allows prayers at demolished mosque site (Lead) - Jan 17, 2011
- Court tells DDA to allot house plots in Rohini - Mar 14, 2012
- Insensitive, callous to demolish night shelters: Apex court (Lead) - Dec 16, 2010
- Court notice to school on poor student's plea - Jun 02, 2012
Tags: action director, contravention, criminal case, criminal trespass, cruelty to animals, delhi development authority, delhi government, delhi high court, demarcation, division bench, ground reality, illegal constructions, lokayukta, mohammad khan, prevention of cruelty to animals, sahai, siddique, surprise inspection, wildlife preservation, wildlife protection act