Delhi government orders probe into fake ration cardsJuly 8th, 2008 - 10:27 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 8 (IANS) The Delhi government Tuesday ordered a probe into reports that thousands of ration cards in the national capital are fake. An activist had claimed that over 170,000 cards, nearly 10 percent of the total, were bogus and billions have been swindled in a systematic manner. State Food and Supplies Minister Haroon Yusuf said: “Those found guilty would be brought to book and strict action would be taken against them as per existing legal provisions.”
Right to Information (RTI) activist Arvind Kejriwal Monday alleged that after a drive to computerize ration cards, 170,598 cards were found to be bogus. Of these, 11,256 were in Antyodaya category, 17,364 in Below Poverty Line category, and 141,978 were in Above Poverty Line.
“The Delhi government would leave no stone unturned to ensure delivery of food grain under its Public Distribution System (PDS) to the targeted beneficiaries,” Haroon added.
“It is also committed to expose nexus of food and supplies officials, fair price shop owners, and other PDS mafia with whose collusion these bogus cards have been made and operated over the years,” he added.
The PDS comprises a network of fair price shops and kerosene oil depots for making available specified articles at subsidised prices through ration cards.
The bogus cards have been in existence for nearly four years and ration has been regularly drawn on these cards, Kejriwal claimed.
“Since 25 kg of wheat and 10 kg of rice are provided on each card, almost 200,000 tonnes of wheat and 82,000 tonnes of rice have been diverted in four years through these bogus cards,” he alleged.
“If the subsidy on these products is calculated, nearly Rs.2.57 billion have been siphoned off during these years,” he alleged.
- 'Over 170,000 fake ration cards in Delhi' - Jul 07, 2008
- Centre, states to discuss food bill (Lead) - Feb 06, 2012
- Parliamentary panel on food bill to meet Jan 23 - Jan 18, 2012
- Leakages to be plugged before food security implemented - Jun 10, 2012
- Tripura opposes food security bill - Oct 18, 2011
- Action against fake poor in Tripura - Jul 31, 2012
- Landmark food security bill tabled in parliament (Lead) - Dec 22, 2011
- Give surplus foodgrain free to poor: Apex court (Lead) - Aug 12, 2010
- Government to take states on board over food bill - Jan 10, 2012
- Government reviews food security bill - Feb 29, 2012
- Pulses, edible oils may be subsidised to reduce prices: Food Minister (Interview) - Jul 26, 2012
- Food secretaries suggest monitoring of public distribution system (Lead) - Jul 13, 2010
- Can't follow tips on foodgrain storage, Supreme Court told (Lead) - Sep 06, 2010
- Concerns on food bill to be addressed: Thomas - Feb 09, 2012
- 'Rice politics' becomes major poll issue in Kerala - Mar 11, 2011